Tuesday, May 26, 2015

paint-palooza

I love, love, love looking at paint colors.  I could theoretically spend hours pawing browsing chips and unfurling fans at the paint store and have indeed spent an embarrassing amount of time scouring Pinterest for images of real rooms and color reviews from actual people. I'd prefer to be popping over to the new house to paint sample swaths on all of our new walls, but the mileage makes that a tad difficult. We could wait and paint until we're settled in Austin... but it's annoying as hell to paint a fully furnished house you just moved into...especially with two tiny terrors mucking about.  So, in an effort to save my sanity and unpack in freshly painted rooms, I'm choosing colors from afar -- no easy task, especially when my passion for paint hasn't always translated into real life success.  As E is apt to remind me, my color selection track record is not the most stellar {anyone remember the to-be mauve-grey office that ended up very, very pink?}.  


But!  With a lot of pin-ing and a little bit of luck, I'm hoping to strike just the right balance with the choices above.  Many of them are pretty tried and true... I'm not trying to reinvent the decorating wheel or step too far out of the box right now.  There are remaining major spaces in the house that will eventually get a paint upgrade as well {living room, entryway and stairwell / hallway, maybe the kitchen}, but they definitely require some at-home consideration and tinkering before more triggers get pulled! 

Benjamin Moore Hawthorne Yellow, via #RoomLust
{via}

Hawthorne Yellow -- We are now the proud owners of a converted garage!  When we first heard about this house {my parents initially scoped it out for us}, we thought we might just switch this space back to a garage, but the conversion is a really nice one and adds a decent chunk of square footage.  It will be a fabulous family room! I think there are a few small windows {I've only seen the house in person twice at this point -- eeek!}, but, while it's quite open, it's lacking in tons of natural light.  I'm hoping this color will brighten it up... Yellows are so incredibly hard {our current playroom is a yellow that I *almost* love, but isn't quite right}; fingers crossed this hugely popular shade is a winner! 

{via}

Guilford Green -- Benjamin Moore's 2015 Color of the Year!  This is going in the guest room and guest bath {this also happens to be the only bathroom downstairs} which are currently really dark green with brown ceilings {whitewashing those suckers and the trim, fo' sho'}. 

{via}

Palladian Blue -- I will not win any creativity awards with this one, but I love this shade.  I almost picked it for our Dallas master bedroom back in the day and always wished I had.  My parents have this color in their upstairs bedrooms.  It will go in a little room off the kitchen {previous owners used it as an office, but it will serve more as a sitting room / play space for us} that is currently super dark with tons of wood wainscoting and another brown ceiling {ceiling and all the wood will be white}.  It will also be the wall color of our master {which is a nice grey with a blue ceiling...not bad, but not my style}. I adore how this shade morphs depending on light, and I expect it to feel completely different in the two spaces.

{via}

Chameleon -- This is a slightly brighter light green when compared to Guilford Green, and I'm hoping it will be perfect in B's nursery {now a decent but boring tan}. 

{via}

Sunlit Coral -- I was going to do Bird's Egg again for L's room {which is currently the same blue as the master ceiling...I think?}, but decided to change it up.  Finding a non-blinding coral was a major task, but I think this one is perfect.  There is a very interesting exposed closet / shelving / dresser "situation" in this room that we will eventually find a solution for {as in: we are going to need some doors or fabric or something to hide the parts that are meant to act as a closet}, but I also think it will be really neat to give the wall behind all the built-in portions a "pop of color" {gag}.  Enter Coral Gables. I am really excited to see how this turns out. {In the images above, Sunlit Coral is actually the shade of the trim; Coral Gables is the bright paneling on the closet doors.}

As it stands, the rest of the house {entry, stairwell, kitchen, living room, dining room} is all super, super neutral {tan, white, some natural wood trims / beams}, so I don't think all the color will be too overwhelming.  Let's hope, right? 

Have y'all used any of these colors in your own homes? 

6 comments:

  1. I haven't used any of these colors but I love them all, especially the fun colors for your daughter's room! I'm also very, very bad at picking out paint colors (I tend to pick the dark, more saturated tones when in my mind I envision the lighter, less eye-assaulting colors) so I relate to your dilemma. My most recent faux pas involved picking out a harmless taupe-ish color for our dining and living room. Thank god I bought samples and painted patches on the wall because one was the color I thought I wanted (ended up being orange--WTH?!) and the other was what I ended up going with (taupe-ish). I mean, really--I have a Master's degree. Why are paint colors so hard?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just painted our kitchen Guilford Green. It's reading a bit more "mint" than "sage"/"grass" than I wanted, but it is very fresh and calm and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am kicking myself for my paint color choice in our new house. My husband swears our builder said we could put some samples on the wall (which DUH why wouldn't I have done that in a custom home I am building *smacks head*), but I don't remember that and I picked a color for the WHOLE house off Pinterest, and I hate it. Not $2,000 to repaint the whole house hate, but it is definitely not at ALL ALL ALL what I thought. It's just too light and boring. We didn't want to paint other rooms yet since I wasn't sure what direction any room would/will take, so now the whole house is 'agreeable gray' which is supposed to be a greige color but instead is just a very pale boring boring boring gray. Your colors all seem perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read any of this blog about choosing paint colors? I was obsessed with it when house renovating! One post that really stuck with me was about not putting light colors in dimly lit rooms. http://www.mariakillam.com/a-light-colour-will-never-come-to-life-in-a-dark-room/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phone commenting is killing me- sorry for the double comment! I think you should go bold in the garage room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto on Guilford being a little minty- have it in my guest room, and kind of wish I'd gone Georgian Green at 50% instead.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!