Monday, June 29, 2015

love wins

Pretty much the only item of import pressed between the pages of L's long-neglected baby book is a chicken-scratch list jotted on a page ripped from a legal pad.  Nothing fancy at first glance, but it enumerates my greatest hopes for our daughter's future.  It also appears here

Not much has changed since I put those words to paper.,,  

Except B now gives us another reason to caste big hopes out into the world...

And one other thing.

{via}
{via}
{via}

All the personally notable events marking the past few weeks for our family pale in comparison to the historic transformation of wishes into realities -- of hopes into assurances -- for so many throughout our nation.


I hope you come of age in a nation where you are free to marry whomever you choose to love.  I hope you choose someone who makes you laugh hourly, challenges you daily, and pushes you to be the best version of yourself possible always.  

{September 28, 2012}

------

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were.  As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death.  It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage.  Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves.  Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization's oldest institutions.  They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law.  The Constitution grants them that right. 

... It is so ordered.  

{June 26, 2015}

3 comments:

  1. {enter rainbow colored anything here} - I loved that post to L then, I love it now, and am overjoyed that one of this wishes has come true

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't written anything in my son's baby book (he's almost 8 months old), but you better believe that on Friday I went to his 7th month and wrote down June 26, 2015-a day where our country (*finally!*) declared each person can marry whomever he or she chooses. I can't wait for my son to say to me "so....what took you guys so long, Mom?!" What a wonderful day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went back and re-read your post to L and it brought me to tears - so beautiful. I am thrilled that my soon to be born son and any future children will grow up in a world where getting to marry the person you love is never even a question. Lovely tribute, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!