Friday, November 6, 2015

Five on Friday

Linking up once again with April for a little FoF action...

five.


My thoughts on Lena Dunham read like a 2004 collegian Facebook relationship status {that shit is complicated, yo}. My feelings towards Lenny Letter, however, are much more succinct: I enjoy its weekly offerings {especially the interviews} {okay, fine, and the vajacial intel} quite a lot. And I know the 17 and 23 year old versions of myself would have seriously loved it. So sign yourself up! And go ahead and intelligently spam your favorite baby feminist while you're at it. 

four.  Speaking of feminists... 


After scrounging around for decent harvest themed books at the library this week, we checked out this one on Sarah Hale, "the woman who saved Thanksgiving" {who, admittedly, I knew nothing about}, and I highly recommend adding it to your seasonal library! 


It is very RA-RA CIVIC ACTIVISM and RA-RA LADIES GETTING SHIT DONE and it's a nice little history lesson, to-boot! 


Warning: It's likely more appropriate for slightly older kiddos... The editor's note online says grades 1-4.  There is mention of slavery and the Civil War and the fact that girls weren't normally educated back in the day, etc.  I found those topics pretty easy to navigate with L {to be fair, she didn't ask about slavery, so I didn't offer any further explanation}, but just be aware if you're reading this to a preschooler!  There's actually another great book on Sarah Hale {Sarah Gives Thanks}, but the heavy issues {including the death of her first husband, her kids visiting their father's grave, etc} were laid out in much more detail so we're skipping that one for now!  Don't want another Legend of the Bluebonnet situation on our hands {native Texans may remember this book fondly from childhood... I remembered it so fondly that I completely forgot the little girl main character's entire family perishes in a plague and she burns her only doll as a sacrifice to the rain gods... Any guesses as to how that plot line played out when I read it to a somewhat anxious 3 year old?}.  


Anyhoodle.  Thank You, Sarah is the bee's knees. Fabulous text, fabulous illustrations. 

three.


This Patterned Swing Dress from Old Navy is awesome!  Casual enough for child-wrangling {although a little short -- I'd pop on leggings or tights if I were planning on a lot of squatting or lifting} but cute enough for more adult activities.  I wore it trick-or-treating with flats and then out with E to see The Martian at Alamo Drafthouse {OMFG ANOTHER SPACE MOVIE} with my very favorite Toms Suede Booties. I like it so much I've ordered the gray floral print as well.  I really wanted the yellow {which Old Navy online tells me is Katie Holmes' pick? MmmmKay, Joey Potter}  for Bears / Deacons football, but, alas, it is sold out in my size. May you be luckier! 

two.


This was a recommendation from Mom & Dad Are Fighting {RIP binge listening... I cannot tell you how bummed I am that I have to wait a week for each new episode now}.  As you might have guessed by the pole dancing graphic, it is not one of their child-friendly recs!  I'm surprised the Rotten Tomatoes rating is only a 67% and that I didn't hear anything about this film when it was released, because I enjoyed it so much.  My guess is it makes people uncomfortable.  If you're a fan of This is 40, Friends with Kids, and Togetherness, I think you'll appreciate Afternoon Delight {although it's definitely darker than This is 40}.  Kathryn Hahn really needs to be in more things.  Or let's just put her in everything.  I love her. 

one.

Moravian Star Pendant

I am about to pull the trigger on a Moravian star pendant for our entryway, and I am much more excited than one should probably be in regards to light fixtures.  I'd like this guy to come live in my dining room, but I don't know how I feel about keeping all that glass sparkling.  Anyone have one like it?  How's the dusting factor? 

Happy Weekending!



* per usual, Amazon links are affiliate. Everything else is unaffiliated / unsponsored. 

14 comments:

  1. i think it's two weeks between episodes of M&DAF? sorry to be a buzzkill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

      {you're totally right, I just checked. saddest of pandas}

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, yes on the Bluebonnet story! I found my childhood copy in my parents house and completely forgot the story and was reading it to myself and was like WTF? How did I read this as a kid? Ha! That dress is super cute, going to have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told my mom {the elementary school teacher} that I read it to L and she was all "Kate, that book is for 4th graders." OOPS.

      Delete
  3. I showed Z "Hocus Pocus" last Friday and she was HORRRRRRRRIFIED that they killed a kid within the first, oh I dunno, five minutes of the movie, "They KILLED the CHILD?!" was Question #1. Followed closely by, "They killed the GIRL but the BOY lives as a CAT?!" Mini Feminist is she. I should sign her up for Lenny..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google tells me I was 10 when Hocus Pocus came out, and I clearly remember seeing it in the theater and being totally traumatized by the idea that your parents could go out to a party and potentially not come back {because, yaknow, of spells and stuff}. Strangely enough, the fact that a little girl was murdered didn't phase me. I was a weird kid.

      Delete
  4. Native Ohioan here, and I totally remember Legend of the Bluebonnet! I think I had a book set that came with a doll, which seems...odd, now that I think of it, considering the context of the story.

    Love that dress! Currently combing through Old Navy reviews trying to decide what size to order. I don't have kids, but love lazy/chic clothes and find your recs so on point (hopefully that comes across as a compliment as intended :)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely take that as a compliment! The dress is extremely flowy and somewhat shapeless, which sounds unflattering but the pintucks and length make it less potato-sack-y. I wear a large, if that helps!

      Delete
  5. Lots of goodness in this post! Going to check out the dress. Perhaps I can make it work at the office? Its basically office wear or pajamas for me at this point. Sad but true. Also need to check out that movie! So, Mom & Dad are fighting is THAT good? I saw your rec for it previously but when I saw it was in the "Parenting" section, I skipped it. (Wow, mom of the year over here.) But if you say it's great, I'll give it a go. Hooray for baby feminist reading and Lenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M&DaF is SO GOOD! I keep meaning to do a post on podcasts, but here's the abbreviated skinny: There's some overall general banter by the hosts as well as their weekly "triumphs and fails" (which I love because who doesn't love hearing about other people's parenting fuckups?!), but there are always two big topics they are discussing which usually piggy back off a new study (AAP's amended screen time guidelines!) or current article (Upper East Side SAHMs who get a yearly Wife Bonus!), and they bring in an expert (or the writer) for those...but then discuss the subject like actual normal people. So I feel super up to date and newsy on parenting happenings without having to read more than I already do PLUS I feel like I've just had coffee with hysterically flawed friends who ignore a lot of the same bullshit standards / advice that I do. Seriously, it's very funny and never preachy; I think you would like it!

      Delete
  6. Follow up - have to recommend the jersey swing dress from old navy. It's more casual than the one you posted but can be dressed up for dinner out with jewelry/shoes or dressed down with leggings and flats for chasing kids. I love it because it's roomy through the bottom so it hides my rear. Can't beat a cute, versatile, fanny-hiding dress for $15!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heading over to purchase now!

      And I definitely think the dress I posted would work for the office with opaque tights! I would have totally worked it into my lady-lawyer attire as it's pretty much like wearing pajamas TO the office.

      Delete
  7. Just getting into podcasts, so perfect for walking he baby to sleep!) I've got MaDaF, what else should I be listening to??

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!