Monday, January 25, 2016

Day in the Life: Winter 2016


DitL time, once again!  I chose a weekend this go'round, which I'm pretty positive I've never done before {not sure my reasoning there... other than Weekday DitL = annoy my children and Weekend DitL = annoy my children and my spouse}.  I'm recapping the day a full week later, so this shouldn't be as verbose as usual. 

{Be sure to check out all the DitL efforts on Julia's Link-up on My Life in Transition in a week or so!}

Winter 2016: Sunday, January 17th

Kate, E, and L will all gain a year in a month or less, but for now, they are 32, 33, and 3, respectively.
B is 22 months
The Boom is 9.5 years


Midnight: My friend H and I are still chattering away in my car, idling in front of her hotel downtown, likely annoying the shit out the valets.  H was the very first friend I made when I moved to Dallas; she was a major bright spot in my "learning experience" private firm job straight out of law school.  She and her family now live in Nebraska, and I sure do miss her -- especially after evenings like this one!  I am thrilled a conference brought her to Austin and we had an entire chunk of time to catch up {not to mention jazzed about our supper at Odd Duck}!  I am also completely re-energized on the career-SAH balance front after talking to her, as well -- huge bonus!  I hug H goodbye around 12:15 am and head home.  I am in the driveway by 12:32, and brrrrrrrr it's finally getting cold. 


12:45 am: Upstairs in our bathroom, I notice L picked E's clothes out for tomorrow {today, I suppose!}.  She must pick her own clothes out every night before bed, and I bet she wanted to do the same for him! He had mentioned potentially taking her to the Baylor vs Texas ladies' basketball game tomorrow {today}, so I'm guessing she liked that idea based on the button down.  I do a quick makeup wipe-off and teeth brushing before falling into bed.  Definitely not my typical weekend bedtime anymore! 


7:32 am: L's Ready to Wake Clock goes off at 7:31 and she is promptly all up in my face a minute later.  Woof, that came early.  I notice she's rocking the skeleton jams which means B will undoubtedly will be, too {if at all possible, L insists they match -- which is always adorable, yet often frustrating}.  Sure enough, when we go to get him out of his crib: skeleton!  B wants to decapitate his humidifier and turn the diffuser on and off.  Then he has to run into L's room and decapitate her humidifier and turn her diffuser on and off.  Can I just mention how sick I am of sniffles and colds and filling 5 different air-moisturizing mechanisms {there's currently a humidifier in our room, too} up for naptime and nighttime and then draining them and scrubbing them with vinegar every damn day?!  The damned are forced to assemble and disassemble both Crane animal humidifiers and various sippy cups over and over again for all eternity in hell, I'm sure of it. 

I finally wrangle B and change his diaper while L gets her clothes on.  Yep, she and E must definitely be going to the basketball game as she has her Baylor dress, bow, socks, and bracelet all ready to go. I am informed that Teddy also gets to go to the game, and they will both be enjoying a soft pretzel. Sounds good to me! I try to pick some clothes out for B, but he is adamant about leaving his skeleton shirt on {"no no no shirt"}.  Whatever, bud! We head downstairs to get some cereal.   


7:50 am: E joins us downstairs.  We decide to head out for a big breakfast and then go for a big walk around Town Lake before he and L head to the basketball game.  I make some coffee and get dressed. We finally get a fresh shirt on B and everyone finds their shoes and jackets.  We load up {B must now climb up into his carseat by himself like L which takes forrrrrrever}.  L realizes Teddy is not with her and I run back in to get him.  I look in every room in the house before remembering she used the downstairs bathroom after her cereal.  Yep, there's Teddy.  And there's also the only photo taken of my face {or part of it} this entire day.  Oops.  


8:30 am: We pull up to Kerbey Lane Cafe and head on in.  We are, uh, here a lot, and we usually get the exact same booth.  It is free again today - hooray!  We get the kidlets all set up with their entertainment {PlayDoh, magnets, Crayons, Alphabots} and order - a gingerbread pancake with bacon and fruit for L, a pumpkin pancake for B, the Colorado omelet with black beans and a blueberry pancake for E, and the Eggs Francisco {English muffin + over easy egg + tomato + avocado + bacon, all drizzled in queso... FAVORITE BREAKFAST IN THE WORLD} with home fries for me.  So much yum.   

9:40 am: Our bill is paid and we're off to work off our breakfast, after a brief preschooler meltdown over lost {but eventually found} rubberband-type bracelets {thanks again, dentist}.  We drive over to the parking lot under the Mopac bridge and get the kids set up in the stroller.  Such a beautiful day; loads of people and puppy watching on the trail!  


We walk about a mile and a half and then circle back a ways to take another trail through Zilker Park to the playscape.  While we're walking, L asks about the different between apartments and condos and we try to explain renting vs. owning.  So random.  We make a bathroom pit stop at Barton Springs, and then let the kids run off some energy. Loads of sliding, fire truck driving, and playing "hot lala" {lava} in the sea lion sand box.  L almost gets clocked in the face by a swinging child, so I guess that whole "give the swing set a wide berth" lesson has yet to sink in.  Jeesh. 


11:20 am: We wrangle the kids back in the stroller and head back to the car. I mapped our walk at the halfway point and figure we did about 4.5 miles total. 


12:15 pm: Home again, home again.  Normally, this would be lunchtime but no one is all that hungry, given our big breakfast.  We get the kids some fruit and cheese and wash some dishes.   I end up making a pickmeup cup of coffee and grab a yogurt.  The kids play with E while I try and figure out how to print the basketball tickets on our rarely used printer.  The ink won't print properly in color and every time I convert the PDF to black and white, it just switches back to color the minute I click Print.  I probably waste an entire redwood sapling figuring it out, but finally do. 


1:10 pm: L and E are off!  L is excited to cheer for both the "Sicky Bears" and the "Hooky Horns," even though she's pretty much drenched in green and gold.  Note the tiny bear claw and horns; too cute. 


1:15 pm: I fill the damn humidifier and diffuser {with B running between the two, switching them on and off}, change B's diaper, and get him settled in my lap with his bottle {half 1%, half hemp milk at this point -- he's recently had another double ear infection, plus he's coughing so we're lowering the dairy quotient}.  And yes, he's still rocking the bottle before nap and bedtime; the fucks I give about this number zero at this point.  I sing This Little Light of Mine {without the creepy Satan verse}, Tupelo Honey, and To Make You Feel My Love, then put B in his bed with his much loved copy of Dear Zoo, and kiss him "nigh-nigh." 


1:40 pm: I have grand plans to make headway on my to-do list, but somehow never make it past "checking Snapchat for just a second on my bed."  I read a little of my book {Carry On by Rainbow Rowell... meh?} and text with E.  Apparently some older ladies didn't understand how a Baylor fan got tickets in the Texas section and kept telling E he should be sitting elsewhere {apparently not unkindly... just... confused, I guess?}.  L raised her little horns high for The Eyes of Texas which makes my heart happy, and she got her soft pretzel, so I'm sure her belly is happy.  My mom texts me and it turns out she and my dad are also at the game. 


4:00 pm: After much texting, reading, and a tiny bit of snoozing, I hear B talking to himself in his crib. E and L are almost home, having left before the 4th quarter.  Pretty impressed L made it that long since the game was right smack in the middle of her rest time.  A rest for everyone midday is great, but it's also awesome that she's getting to the age where we can do fun things without a pause in the action. I go get B and it's pretty much the same song and dance as morning -- decapitate Gus the monkey and turn the diffuser on and off.  Diaper change, then downstairs for a snack just as Sister and E get home. 


4:40 pm: We all head outside to enjoy the rest of the beautiful weather.  L is super psyched about the basketball game and tells me all about the uniforms, how tall the girls were, how loud it was, and how high the cheerleaders jumped.  She brings a bunch of her buddies outside so they can all "play on her soccer team." It's possible she may be confused about what sort of sporting event she just attended. She is a liiiiiiiittle grumpy from the lack of rest, but otherwise in a pretty good mood.  The kids ride each and every one of their wheeled devices.  I enjoy an iced coffee {that pick-me-up cup I made before nap didn't end up getting consumed, it seems}.  We Facetime with E's mom. B plays with his toothbrush?


5:45 pm: We usually go to Whole Foods to grocery shop for the week and eat supper on Sunday evenings, but since tomorrow is MLK Day and E will be home, we decide to treat ourselves to some Mexican food {just realized this weekend was quite heavy on the eating out, woof}.  We round up the troops and head to Maudie's.  B has to touch every car in the parking lot while shouting "cah cah cah!" We sit on the heated patio and dig into some chips and salsa.  E and I enjoy some big ass draft beers and everyone leaves with very full bellies {fajita chicken with rice for the kids, veggie fajitas for E, and a grilled shrimp salad for me}. 


7:15 pm: The kids are usually bathed and ready for books at this time so E hustles them upstairs.  The mess in the playroom and den are making me nutty so I clean them up. Victory!  I snap photos since everything looks so nice and tidy...even though it will all be in shambles again in 12 hours. 


7:25 pm: I make B's bottle and head upstairs.  L is having a mini-meltdown over something.  B grabs his "bah-bah" and "ya-ya" and we head into his room to rock and sing.  E and L come in for goodnight kisses.  I sing Edelweiss, Amazing Grace, Crazy Love, and I'm a Nut.  B's chuckles and makes the nut tapping sound with his tongue whenever we sing it.  Then he says "Dada Nut! Mama Nut! Sissy Nut!" He still doesn't try to say his own name, but it's so fun to hear him finally start to string words together other than "____ bye-bye!" I put B in his crib, kiss him goodnight, and go back into L's room.  She has her clothes all laid out for the next day, and she and E have already read 2 books.  I read Madeline in London, and then we all sing Itsy Bitsy Spider, Twinkle Twinkle, and Jesus Loves Me.  Lots of kisses and hugs and I love yous.  

8:00 pm: E lights the fire and we settle in to watch TV.  I want to watch another Making a Murderer, but he is super tired and doesn't think he'll make it for an entire hour {E comes home to hang out with us on weekday evenings but then often works until 1 or 2 am, so he tries to log a lot of catch-up hours on the weekends}.  I suggest a Harry Potter in honor of Alan Rickman, so we watch Prisoner of Azkaban.  E heads to bed around 8:45, while I stay up feeling all the feels. 

10:45 pm: Mischief is managed and I roll on up to bed.  I'm not super sleepy so I spend about 45 minutes looking at Port Aransas beach properties for the trip we're taking with E's family this summer.  I finally fall asleep sometime a little after 11:30 pm

Aaaaand, that's a wrap on Winter 2016! 

23 comments:

  1. Two thumbs up for the eggs francisco! That's my go-to, too. (And Never Forget those dreary years when they changed the homefries recipe.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I always enjoying reading these posts from people as I don't have a blog and it's these type of things I know I'll miss when my kids are older. Could you tell me what high chair you have? I'm looking for one hat goes on a seat but looks wipe-able (?) and the one you have looks that way! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the Oxo Sprout high chair and I do not like it at all so don't get it ;) I loved it at first but it becomes more and more difficult to clean (the pads wipe easily but they Velcro down and food gets down by the Velcro and it's super gross). The covering on the pad also peels really easily (although that's also partially our dog's fault - she sticks her paws up there to grab at food and nicks the covering).

      If I had to do it over again, I would just buy the IKEA high chair that everyone loves. Or, if I wanted to spend some cash, the Boon Flair!

      Delete
    2. That's good to know. I searched high chairs after I commented and thought that might be the one you had, so it's good to know you don't like it. I'll look into the IKEA one, but the closest ikea is over 5 hours away and I'm not sure they deliver. I bought the boon flair on a black friday deal off amazon, but it was super sketchy as it was never "delivered" by the company and amazon, while they refunded my money, wouldn't tell me what happened :( I just want something that's easy to clean.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great day! I am soon jealous of Texas weather right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. always love your DITL posts! I am a friend of Samma's but I live in the atlanta area, my kids are 3.5 and 21mos so we are in a similar boat right now. And definitely still give my 21 mos old a full bottle of milk at naptime, props. What alarm clock do you use for L? we really need one for my 3.5yr old who some days wakes up at 5 and somedays wakes. up at 7:35. And what brand humidifiers do you use? i have been using cheap drugstore brands but i know i need to up my game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got the "Ready to Wake" clock for L (ordered off Amazon). Once we actually figured out how to set it (it isn't super intuitive but the instructions are well written), it works fabulously for her. It doesn't change color have a moon / sun like some of them -- it's just a funky fun looking clock that glows green when it's time to get up. You can set an audible alarm and different alarms for morning and naps, too.

      Our humidifiers are the Crane brand animals (we have the elephant and the monkey). The kids love them and they seem to help! Buy Buy Baby carries them and you can use the 20% off coupons!

      Delete
  5. Agh sorry for the annoying typos!! my ipad is a dinosaur & won't let me edit my text after it has been entered. FWP

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too watched a Harry Potter (Half Blood Prince) in honor of Alan Rickman. Got a bit choked up if we're being honest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alan Rickman!!! :( I think I have killed at least 5 humidifiers - including 2 Crane animal ones (mine and the one I borrowed from my sister). I always think about buying another one when Drew has a disgusting nose and then get mad when I see the price tag and think of how many we've bought! I keep forgetting to do my DITL post and tomorrow is the last day for Julia's link-up, so I guess tomorrow it is. I don't normally like doing week days because working from home means about 7 hours of me...working...ha, but I have to go to our office tomorrow (Georgetown to downtown trek is super fun), so hopefully it'll be interesting even though a work day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will actually finish the post but got distracted by the fact that you drain and clean your humidifiers DAILY! Clearly I am doing it VERY WRONG and will not admit how infrequent that is in this household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many, many areas of my housekeeping that are sorely lacking, but I have a major mold phobia! Or I should really say a major humidifier mold phobia because my dedication definitely does not translate to other areas (I have never, ever, ever sterilized a bath toy and I really should be much better at actually using soap more often on sippy cups!).

      Delete
    2. I, too, was taken aback (and impressed) by your diligent cleaning of the humidifiers. What's your process for cleaning? I am horrible at cleaning ours.

      Delete
    3. Me too! I have the crane elephant humidifier in my daughters room and have not yet cleaned/disinfected it this season :/ I just dump it and refill it each day... Hope I'm not making my kid sick! Curios what your cleaning method is as well!

      Delete
    4. Ha! I just came to comment on your diligence with humidifier cleanliness, and see I am hardly the first to be astonished by this.

      Delete
    5. Ahhhhhhhh! Y'all! I'm such a freak! I had no clue to what extent until this post!

      Delete
  9. I always enjoy the DITL posts! Also it reminded me that I should clean our humidifier. I won't even mention how long it's been.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chiming in to ask where are your gold shoes from?? Jcrew? Googling or "Pinteresting" metallic pumps gets me nowhere :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are J Crew! But from years ago... They are the rose gold metallic Juliets. Probably from 2010ish? I've been hoping they'll bring Juliets back for YEARS - they are the best pumps!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll get lucky on Ebay :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you get the great Otomi prints over B's crib?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are actually embroidered pillow cases! A good friend brought them back for us from Mexico.

      Delete

happy little comments!