Friday, January 29, 2016

Fashion Five on Friday

That cutesy alliteration kinda makes my teeth hurt, but I'm just going to roll with it...

Linking up with April & Co. today to share some recent materialistic marvels -- for adults and kidlets alike!

*Only Amazon links are affiliate.  Click away without fear of blogger monetary gain everywhere else! 

one.


Lysse Leggings {with a fancy-pants accent over the e in Lysse} - My friend Erin recently texted me in the middle of a random Wednesday afternoon, ordering me to stop whatever I was doing and get my butt to Nordstrom to buy these leggings.  Trusting her infinite wisdom, I did the next best thing and ordered them online.  I was a little skeptical of $78 leggings, but they truly are amazing!  I purchased the Seamed Ponte Knit Control Top pair in black and they are super thick and sucky-in-y while being ridiculously comfortable.  I'm not always Team Leggings As Pants, but with this pair, I'm 100% on board.  My mom, who has apparently been holding out on me as she already knew about Lysse when I tried to share this "hot tip," raves about the jegging style to go with tall boots and tunics.  And I have my eye on the leather trimmed pair.  J also recommends googling for the best price -- Amazon, Zappos, and various other retailers carry the Lysse brand. 

{awkwardly modeling #1 and #2}

two. 

Lush Perfect Roll-Tab Tunic - I think this is old news, but these tunic tops from Nordstrom's Junior department are fantastical.  So easy to throw on with skinny jeans or leggings {with plenty of booty and FUPA coverage from the shirt-tail hem}, layer on a vest or scarf when it's cold, and feel like maybe you 63% nailed a Pinterest-inspired look {which is about the most I can hope for when it comes to casual wear these days}.  At $25 a pop, I bought the Legion Blue {which I promptly "decorated" with a perfect circle of olive oil while wielding my Misto... fuck} and the New Olive, and I love them both.  The sizing instructions recommend sizing down if in between sizes {which I often am these days}, but I read the sleeves are slightly tighter so my sausage arms and I ordered up, and they fit perfectly.  Definitely quite blousy, but that's pretty much the point.

three. 


Hair Bows - There's so many options for cute bows {including April's absolutely adorable offerings}, but our school days require a bow I don't mind coming home covered in Tempra paint... or not coming home at all.  Cute Bows 4 Girls on Etsy has been my go-to for high-quality, CHEAP hair bows for several years now.  When L first had enough hair to clip back, we used the Small size, then graduated to the Medium when it was time for pony and pigtails, and we've recently bumped it up to the Large. TWO BUCKS A PIECE for these suckers! And they hold up well {if they haven't been tossed due to staining, the bows we've had for 3+ years are still in great shape} and they really do stay put {as long as little hands aren't yanking them out, of course}.  Highly recommend.  


four.


Toddler Socks - This is so random but I hate kids' socks.  Our Central Texas climate doesn't necessitate an investment in really high quality socks, and the cheap varieties are either ill-fitting, plain, ugly, or a combination thereof.  I discovered these Wrapables Peek A Boo Animal Non-Skid Toddler Socks, and they are pretty great, as far as socks go.  They fit well, the non-skip bottoms actually work, they haven't pilled or unraveled in the wash, and they are super cute {LLAMAS!}.  This is kinda picky and overly liberal-neurotic of me, but I also really appreciate that there aren't "boy" vs "girl" designs... and that even the option that is the most traditionally "boyish" isn't all navy and hunter green. The sizing was a little confusing, but the Large fits both L and B -- they both wear a toddler shoe size 8.  

five.


Short-Swim-Shorts - I "snapped" about this the other day {"did a snap?" "made a snap?" the correct terminology still escapes me}, but swim suits for little boys are a thorn in my side.  I hate how the board shorts style is so popular for toddlers and preschoolers -- I just think they look ill-fitting and a bit sloppy on short legs.  Plus they seem to restrict climbing-in-and-out-of-the-pool movement. I've seen some cute short-trunks options, but they are all pretty pricey, and a Texas summer {and spring and fall} requires multiple swim costume changes. And yes, I could hem longer styles, but I'm a mess with a needle and thread. So I was pretty jazzed to find this Circo suit with a much shorter inseam.  I thought the pineapples and lizards were fun, and they were $9.  Sold! I couldn't find an exact link on Target's website, but I know this print was the same style {even though the description says "below the knee" - humphf}. 

Happy Weekending! 



15 comments:

  1. Just bought that shirt - always on the lookout for tunic styles I can wear to work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it as much as I do!

      Delete
  2. Umm so I have been out of the blog loop and your kids are getting so BIG!!! They are adorable! Thanks for the bow tip too. EJ pulls on hers til they ruin and lord knows when I get out the hot glue gun to fix them it turns into a mess, so I'm all about buying more bows if they're cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you believe I'm wearing the exact outfit you're modeling in the pic? I live in the Lush tops and am willing to wear the (so comfy I'm basically wearing my pajamas) leggings as pants with them, add a few accessories, and look perfectly pulled together for work, date night, errands... and so on. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am obviously late to the Lush party! I need to check out more of their stuff!

      Delete
  4. I love that you are blogging again. Just ordered three of the shirts. P primarily wears white bows and they look dingy after one school-wear. Turns out, you can clean bows with dishsoap. Who knew? I get the ribbon part a bit damp, put soap directly on the bow and rub until it's clean. Rinse and let air dry and they are good as new. I try not to get the clip part wet, but they've all held up great so far. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, this is life-changing news! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I am late to the Lush party as well and will need to make a stop at Nordstrom. I just heard about Lysse leggings earlier this week so you are not behind the times! Have a great weekend! Jess at Just Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. As soon as I can try on normal-people clothes again, I'm going to purchase that tunic! Probably great for post-baby floppiness, too! Thanks for linking to our etsy shop :) Also - if this babe is a boy, those swim trunks are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd be great for post-parturition! I'm still quite floppy...I can still blame that on the baby even if he's almost 2, right?!

      Delete
  7. I found Lysse through Le Tote and I love them! Include me and all my friends in the too long swim trunk hating brigade. Polo ones are great and short, but pricey. I nabbed some for this summer last fall on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the Polo tip! I had a partially used gift cert to Macy's languishing in my wallet and found a cute pair online that was already a bit on sale! Bought them in two colors and it wasn't too ridiculous, price-wise!

      Delete
  8. I love those shirts!! I bought a bunch...just took them out of the box and they say dry clean only!!! No!!! Do you dry clean yours?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dry clean pretty much anything that isn't cotton or workout clothes. We dry clean all of E's work clothes so schlepping to the cleaners is just part of the regular routine. Since it's not silk, I bet you could wash it on the delicate cycle with cold water and line dry, though.

      Delete
  9. Ordered the leggings and tunic to try! I think I tried both on around anniversary sale...they were both sale price then so check in Jily if you want to stock up! Love the outfit, can't wait to try them again!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!