Thursday, January 28, 2016

remodel daydreams

We survived The Great Paint Job of 2016!


Really, it wasn't all that dramatic, but keeping tiny hands {and tiny paws} off of oil-based accent paint for 72 hours when you've got a whole lotta trim / molding / doors / staircase spindles / etc going on was no easy task.  Please read "no easy task" as "I was much more shouty than I generally like to be."  


But! The furniture and wall decor have been moved back to their rightful spots, the tape and plastic have been removed, and we're back to being only semi-shouty.  And I love, love, love the new paint!  Everything just looks so clean and bright.  The previous owners were super purposeful in their paint choices in the sense that I understand why they chose dark beige trim considering the flow of the house and the kitchen / living room color situation, but hot damn, the white looks so much better!  I was worried after the first day of painting that the white trim {visible from the kitchen} would make the chair rail, built-in corner cabinet, and upper cabinetry in the kitchen {which is all an off-white "faux"...which I didn't know was a separate crazy paint technique until last week} appear sad and dingy and clash-y, but I don't think it does.  At least not enough to redo the entire kitchen at this point in time. 


However!  Painting our master bath cabinetry white has both E and I itching to remodel the whole shebang.  It's not bad, by any means, and one of the reasons I love this house is the fact that nothing is just a total eyesore, but it's not exactly our taste. The only think keeping me from calling the contractor is knowing what a ginormous pain in the ass ripping up alllllll that tile will be {floor, counter tops, backsplash, halfway up the wall, the entire shower...}.  But in my daydreams, painted cement and subway tiles magically appear installed, dust-free, along with a big ol' soaker tub {or a clawfoot...sigh} and a soapstone counter top.  

Found the source for good decorative tile: Cement Tile Shop - Encaustic Cement Tile Agadir White Super pricey though!  Would cost $500 just for the tile.:
Cement Tile Shop - Encaustic Cement Tile Bordeaux:
Moroccan or Spanish-style tile = MUST HAVE. From the Cement Tile shop (https://www.facebook.com/CementTileShop).:
Master bathroom in a NYC penthouse with Mosaic House's ROSA 29-14-33-41 cement / encaustic tile on floor:

I love some of the more graphic, black and white floors, but I think a little color and Moroccan or Spanish flair is more our speed.  

Like this pattern and color, and would pair it with marmoleum color Adriatica Cement Tile Shop - Encaustic Cement Tile Rabat Gold:
Cement Tile Shop - Handmade Cement Tile | Vine:
Cement Tile Shop - Encaustic Cement Tile Algeria- floor:

Sigh... maybe someday! 

14 comments:

  1. New paint looks great! I love the white trim too. So fresh and clean.

    Our houses must have been built around the same time (early 80s?) because so much of yours reminds me of mine. We're in the same boat re: less eyesore, more not our taste. Except for the MINT GREEN CARPET. (which is coming out FINALLY!!!!) I would love any of the baths you showed. But I've got something almost identical to yours. Except mine has dueling toilets that but for two shower curtains flanking our stall shower would face each other. That's right - toilets that face each other. How romantic. I spend approximately 78% of my free time at home dreaming of a renovations I haven't the budget nor time for right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Totally early 80s! most of the neighborhood was built at a similar time and I am always so jazzed to go in neighbors' homes to see what all they've done. And I totally still stalk the real estate listings.

      Carpet is also on my list...although, thankfully, ours is not mint...but they put THREE different carpets for the stairs and hallways, master, and kids' rooms -- and they all three flow into one another. So bizarre!

      Delete
  2. I think I am the one person on the planet who doesn't like subway tile. I think it looks so great in other people's houses, but it just isn't for me. I sometimes want to shake Joanna Gaines and ask her if she's heard of ANY other types of backsplashes! The paint color looks so pretty and I agree - so fresh and clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that Joanna is often a one trick pony! Subway tile definitely isn't my thing for kitchen backsplashes but I do like it in bathrooms when there's a lot going on with the floors!

      Delete
  3. Ironic this just popped up in my feed minutes ago
    http://www.copycatchic.com/2016/01/copy-cat-chic-room-redo-modern-tribal.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should hire her! Bailey McCarthy did a super similar bathroom in the Southern Living Beach house in Port A last year -- that's where I first became an ogler of Cement Tile Shop tile!

      Delete
  4. You can live vicariously through our upcoming master bathroom remodel... benefits being that you can see the end result without having to live through the actual remodel- not looking forward to that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the paint colors you went with. Re: tile, I really think you should bring the funky suns back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really need to hunt down the photos I took of them and blow them up / frame them! I don't think the majesty of the originals can ever be recreated, though!

      Delete
  6. The paint looks great! We have been dying to renovate our very early nineties bathroom since we moved in, but it's last on the list. One thing- it does have a very fancy claw foot tub, which I am now used to, but not a huge fan. It's not deep enough to fully immerse myself under the water before you get to the top-drain-thingie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well that just won't do! I love up-to-the-neck baths. Our tub is also quite shallow which is very odd to me as it takes up just as much room as the 80s and 90s soaker tubs. Actually it looks like a 90s soaker tub - just...shallow. Not sure what the thought process was there!

      Delete
  7. I love how you blend in fun with classic. If you ever felt the urge to be a professional decorator, I would hire you! Of course, I live in Denver- so that would be tricky, but we do have great hiking here! 😉 Thanks though for sharing- I'm going to save for our future home.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!