Wednesday, February 17, 2016

business, birthdays & burros


E and I spent the Birthday/VDay Double Feature in Scottsdale where his firm was nice enough to throw a 3 day fiesta in my honor. 

Or we were there for the annual partnership retreat.  With nearly 600 lively attorneys bopping about in their proverbial party hats, it was hard to tell. 




Retreat-ing kept us mostly resort-bound, so I can't give too many dazzling travel tips for the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, but I can give two thumbs up to The Phoenician -- the sprawling grounds {extra slices of crispy bacon and sugary cocktails were easily rationalized by the mile meander required to get from our room to anywhere else} were immaculate, the staff extremely helpful, and the food was pretty damn decent for mass-produced conference-type fare.  As far as amenities go, the pool and golf course were both beautiful {I'm going off appearances and hearsay only -- we didn't golf and, like a dummy, I didn't even think to pack my swimsuit}, and the spa was lovely {this one is a first-hand account -- I leave no hot-stone unturned in this arena!}.  I don't know if it's necessarily a hotel I'd book for a family vacation or a romantic getaway, but you couldn't ask for a better spot for a group.  


We did go "off-campus" Thursday evening for a birthday dinner at The Mission -- absolutely delicious!  I had the Green Chile Duck Confit at the urging of our server, and I've been thinking about it ever since.  We also hiked Camelback Mountain {this was a group excursion so we had to go at 2 pm -- I would suggest attacking it in the morning; it was very pretty - in a very "brown" way - but so super hot and dusty} and visited the Phoenix Art Museum {for an evening event so we didn't do as much browsing as I would have liked, but what we saw was great!}. 

{Post-Massage Ace Ventura Hair}
{somebody call PETA. but not until after I procure my chilled beverage from the saddlebag}

I must admit I did a little grumbling when I noticed the timing of this trip, but, quite honestly, I had a fabulous time -- I spent every spare moment reading on various sun porches - which is pretty much a dream come true during this life stage - and I totally geeked out during Steven Levitt's keynote speech {I had to sit on my hands during the Q&A as I'm pretty sure my Freakonomics fangirling might have made things a little awkward}.  Most of all, I sincerely enjoyed connecting with E's colleagues; Big Law is often a pretty shitty place for morale, and that couldn't be further from our experience over the last 9 years.  Long hours and stress are so much more palatable with bushels full of good apples on your team.  


I was bummed not to spend a milestone weekend with our little meatloaves, but we had a proper celebration at my parents' home before we left.  Berry Chantilly Cake and hamburgers FTW! 


We were excited to spend the second half of Valentine's Day with our goobers -- they had much news from the front lines of nursery school class parties, soccer practice, and other adventures with J and T-Pop, and we all enjoyed a highly romantic family grocery run to Whole Foods.  Food shopping on a Hallmark holiday is always entertaining!  


I hope you've been enjoying 70% Off Candy Week... Dove hearts are giving me the strength to power through the next two weeks of 4th Birthday Frenzy! 

10 comments:

  1. Ooh that all sounds very nice!

    And here is a little random fact that is related to your Freakanomics fangirling. Kinda sorta. So Steven Levitt's father (Michael Levitt) is a MD at the VA hospital in Minneapolis where I interned and later worked (and met my husband!) His lab researches...suspenseful pause...FARTS. Farts. And as an intern I spent a half day in the lab where I got to do things like smell the "fart gas" they used for testing charcoal underwear and I also got to see a lab guy demonstrate the knicker-like pants they use to test said charcoal undies. I do believe those knicker-like pants were a rubber material and they featured a wee hose coming from the butthole area where they inserted the farty-smelling gas. So. That's a tidbit for you. Look i found an article for further reading! http://discovermagazine.com/1995/apr/whatagas494 And I know my husband knew him and his lab work much better than I did although we haven't talked about it in years. He told me some story that took place before my time about a bunch of employees eating taco bell to monitor farting for some study. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He totally talked about this - even citing a GQ article that once proclaimed is dad to be "The King of Farts!"

      I'm sure researching with him would be A GAS! (insert sheepish emoji here)

      Delete
  2. Is L missing her front teeth already?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wishes! She has a grape in her mouth in that photo!

      Delete
  3. Yay - so glad you enjoyed the resort! I agree - not super ideal for fam / romantical getaway, but damn awesome for groups. Bummed we didn't get to have a cocktail, my sexy red eye was a saucy mistress Thursday night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought L was missing her 2 front teeth in one of the bottom pictures and was like WHAT? Trip looked awesome - my only trip to Phoenix was also for a work training and the facility was awesome - maybe they make a bunch of training facilities in Phoenix?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mission! The appetizer guacamole and the grilled Mexican corn is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the mission! The appetizer guacamole and the grilled Mexican corn is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely unrelated to anything you mentioned in your post, but have you read the book Biglaw? It's basically the law version of Devil Wears Prada, so semi-ridiculous. I came across a few reviews on Above the Law if you read that blog, which claimed it was actually accurate. I found it pretty entertaining, a very quick read. (I'm the pre-law advisor at a university which is why I read Above the Law in the first place)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon keeps suggesting it for me but I haven't read it yet. We are going to the beach for Spring Break and it sounds like just the fluffy ticket! I'll let you know my thoughts...

      Delete

happy little comments!