Thursday, March 3, 2016

Come on let the party begin...

...the Doc is in! 


WOOF.  I am still recovering from our festive February. "Recovery" currently includes a Come to Jesus intervention from the Triple-Birthday-Valentines-Day-Childless-Trip Sugar-&-Booze-a-Palooza that was the previous 29 days {in form of another Snap Kitchen cleanse}, so I'm also a little cranky.  I cannot wait to chew something tomorrow. 

But! Before we march onward into...errrrrm, March, a little Doc McStuffins Fourth Birthday Recap...


Considering the Doc obsession that's taken over our house these last 10 months or so, a party featuring our favorite medical practitioner was inevitable.  L also really wanted a bounce house, and, because I like to live on the wild side and grapple with a potential weather catastrophe, we decided to host in our very own backyard. This is the third year in a row we've lucked out with clear skies, which means I'll be booking something indoors next year -- I know when I'm officially pushing it! 

Seriously though, we couldn't have asked for a prettier day!  We blew up the kiddos' combined present from my grandmother {the Little Tikes Jump 'n Slide Bouncer -- highly recommend! this thing has already paid for itself four times over} as a companion to the rented big-guns castle moonwalk {Austin Moonwalks, if you're local and looking for a fantastic company to work with!}, tacked up a Pin-the-Bandaid-on-Stuffy from Party City, and invited friends to bring their scooters and other various wheeled devices for the sport court. 



L has been saving every art project from school, easel masterpiece, and coloring book scribble for the last two months "for decoration at my party."  Her pile probably included close to 50 pieces of paper.  Pretty stinkin' adorable, especially since she was so earnest about it.  We picked some of her favorites to tape up as extra decor.  She was a tad annoyed we didn't have enough time to display all of her collection, but we assured her editing is an important skill for any artist to master.  My craft contribution consisted of "tongue depressor" frames -- I found a bunch of dyed popsicle sticks at Michael's and spent a few Mortified podcast episodes hot-gluing them together; add a bucket of 70% off foam stickers {thanks, Valentine's Day hearts, for being so multi-purpose!} and you've got yourself another activity to keep the minions occupied outside! The frame also served as our party favor... I am somewhat of a goody bag grinch, so these worked out quite nicely! 


Super simple food -- Trader Joe's rip-off Pirate's Booty, carrots and hummus + tzatziki dip, veggie sticks, cheese cubes, and clementines, plus cupcakes {TJ's vanilla baking mix + cream cheese icing} and "Lambie's Chocolate Cuddles" {dirt cake}.  I thought the cutesy and thematic name was decently clever, but, alas, I had no Pinterest-worthy signage to designate them as such. Oh well. I shall remain brilliant in my own mind. 


Our girl {not to mention brother-bear up yonder} had an absolute blast, and, honestly, so did we!  Two hours flew by, and all 15 kidlets left totally bounced and sugar-highed out.  And no one set foot inside my house!  Party Perfection! 


^^^ Day-After Juice-Box After-Glow... right before she told the Texas Honey Ham man "I'm four now! And today, I'm FOUR AND A HALF!"

Not exactly, but I do love her gumption! 

*Sole Amazon link is affiliate. Everything else is just {recommended} gravy. 

7 comments:

  1. Gah, couldn't be any cuter! Love love love that your girl wanted her art as the party decor - that personal touch is everything! :) Can I also just throw out there that I love that you throw awesome but normal birthday parties for your kiddos? The party seems to be so very much for THEM not for you - totally want to be like you when I'm a mom myself (um, seriously - I'm taking notes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And seriously, the "normal birthday party" compliment is the best one I could possibly receive!

      Delete
  2. "And no one set foot inside my house." AMEN. Looks like a great party! Wish I had one of Lambie's Chocolate Cuddles at my desk right now. And room for a bounce house in our yard. The kids would flip for that! I may have to measure our currently vacant sunroom to see if we could manage. I'm having a pretty serious daydream about reading a magazine while the kids bounce away. (Magazines - remember those? We read them before we had 2 kids?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magazines...magazines...I think I might recall...with all the pretty pictures and the words? I believe I was rather fond of them!

      But seriously, measure your sunroom! Our deck is big enough but not massive by any means, and the bounce house fits up there when I'm feeling super lazy! You might not be able to fit a magazine in, but I promise you can drink a beer and get through a glossy catalog while your offspring have the most fun concussing one another!

      Delete
  3. Man, I love a good backyard birthday party. We hosted Harper's here (no rain-hallelujah!) and it was so easy! Random question on the cleanse...did you do it last time while nursing? My baby weight is not coming off this time around and I am desperate to try something to shock the system here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nursing last time but it was pretty infrequently -- 2-3 times a day and mostly for comfort. The SK cleanse does have a decent amount of calories -- I think it's like 1200 a day? I know when I was reading other people's experiences, someone mentioned having migraines brought on by too few calories and eating raw almonds to supplement.

      Delete
  4. Ugh. Goody bags are the absolute worst. NO MOM WANTS THAT TINY CRAP IN HER HOUSE. (and our neighbors recently got that Little Tikes bounce house and, lo, it is wonderful. My little dude may get one for his 2nd in May.)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!