Thursday, April 21, 2016

Thyme-Mustard Roasted Salmon + Prague

Nothing like a title that just lays it all out there, ammaright?

We're on our fifth day of rain, and the crankyness is reaching a fever pitch. I just broke up a literal knife fight... a PlayDoh knife - specifically, the much-coveted GREEN PlayDoh knife - but a knife nonetheless. Nevermind we have 2 other PlayDoh knives and a host of heavy plastic IKEA knives that also work quit nicely; it's an all out mutiny for the green.  


Thankfully, we have music class in 15 minutes, and upcoming Eastern European getaway daydreams are a welcome distraction from muddy paw prints and soaking car seat struggles. E and I are headed to Prague for 8 days in May, and I would absolutely LOVE any recommendations you might have -- especially in the restaurant and day trip departments!  I'll trade you an awesome salmon recipe for all your Czech knowledge! 

Thyme-Mustard Roasted Salmon


I've made this salmon recipe pretty much every week for the last month.  It is so incredibly easy and delicious -- even the picky tiniest terrorist eats it! 

Per usual, my photography is atrocious. Apologies! 


Ingredients
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1.5 lbs salmon {we prefer wild caught Alaskan} - skin on and pin bones removed
- 1/8 cup country Dijon or whole grain mustard 
- 1 T honey
- 1/2 t white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 t fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t fresh ground pepper
- thinly sliced lemon 

Give your baking sheet or pan a little misto spritz or line with parchment paper. Lay your salmon filet atop the thyme sprigs and set aside. 

Mix mustard, honey, and vinegar together  and brush over the salmon. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and thyme leaves on top, then layer lemon slices over the whole shebang. You can let this marinate for a while (I like to prep at naptime and cook it right at supper time) or put it right into a 450 degree preheated oven. Cook for around 20 minutes or until fish is cooked through. 

We love it with foil-cooked broccoli (broccoli, olive oil, garlic salt and lemon juice in a foil pouch for about 10 minutes in the same oven). 


9 comments:

  1. Yum! Can't wait to try both recipes out on my family. Nothing to say about Prague except hope you have a nice time and good weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Can't wait to try both recipes out on my family. Nothing to say about Prague except hope you have a nice time and good weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Prague on a high school choir trip and it is MAGICAL. All I can say is buy paprika and eat things with paprika - it's the most fresh and flavorful I've ever had. We were doing a lot of singing in churches and boy are they gorgeous. There was also a castle we toured up a hill from the Charles Bridge that was AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to give you some very, very weird directions to a restaurant in Prague because I had no idea what its name was, but it was amazing... and then I decided to make Google my friend and figure it out that way. Anyways, you will surely visit the old town square in Prague, and you will likely see the astronomical clock on the side of old town hall do its thing... and I am going to suggest that you go mid-morning, and then head immediately to U Prince Hotel - specifically, their rooftop bar. (As you stand facing the clock, turn 90 degrees to your left, and you should be heading in the right direction.) We stumbled in there looking for a cocktail right as they were opening one day (I'm guessing they open at 10am or 11am?), and we ended up in the rooftop bar, and it's AMAZING. You can see so much of the city, it's fabulous in nice weather, and their selection of cocktails, wine/bubbly, and food is fantastic. It filled up mighty quickly and the google tells me it is very hard to get into most of the day, so going as they open is probably a good choice. It was fantastic to relax with a glass of bubbles and enjoy the sun and kind of watch the city come alive for the day! Before I make this the world's longest comment, I will just say feel free to email me if you'd like, and I'm happy to recommend a few more things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make a salmon recipe just like this but top the mustard coated salmon with panko mixed with lemon zest. DELISH.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prague is fantastic! I'll have to dig out my guidebook and travel journal for a few recommendations. We were there in July a few years ago and it was really hot, so May sounds like a great time to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An 8 day European getaway and kids who eat salmon?!?! You friend, are living the good life. Prague sounds AMAZING. I have no recs, just a healthy dose of envy. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like we'll be there just a couple of weeks after you are! I'm going to jump the gun and beg you to post your recommendations—I'd love to read about your experience! AND that salmon looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore Prague. My blog is a family blog but here's the link to the post I did when we went: http://leathyclan.blogspot.com/2012/09/prague-2012.html The bike ride was really fabulous... found it through brochure at our hotel.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!