Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother's Day 2016

Mother's Day was really good to me, y'all.  Nothing fancy - just solid QT with my favorite peeps. 

I went back and tried to find last year's Mother's Day post, and, lo' and behold, I never wrote one. Probably because it was rather sucky. Which I know we aren't really supposed to admit publicly since loving tiny souls and shaping the tiny people attached to those tiny souls is our greatest privilege {true! but... also... breakfast cocktails can be nice!}, but I think we're allowed to be disappointed when those tiny people scream in our faces all day and things just generally go off the rails 873% more than they normally do. One can have Capital P Perspective and still be bummed out by a lackluster Hallmark holiday. It doesn't make you a horrible mother...just a slightly horrible one! Like me! 


ANYHOODLE, this past weekend paid the piper for MD2015 so I could smug-it-up with the worst of them on social media! 


We had birthday cake pancakes in honor of Kerbey Lane's 34th year on Saturday morning {by "we," I mean I ordered a somewhat sensible breakfast and then ate half of B's be-sprinkled confection on the sly}, a 5 miler on the trail + Zilker park play, and then celebratory take-out with my parents on our patio that evening. They've been in Italy for 3 weeks, and we were so glad to hug their necks! 


Sunday morning dawned with the traditional Mylar balloons presentation, homemade + self-selected store-bought cards from each kiddo {I love seeing what they pick out -- L was so proud that hers had a Best Mom Ever button for me to wear; you bet your bottom I'm busting that sucker out yearly until loooooong after she stops thinking it's cool}, and a neighborhood walk. We brunched at Jack Allen's {again...we're taking our self-appointed fried chicken quality control positions rather seriously}, played at the park, and did some grocery shopping before rest time. Midday storms threatened to sour our evening plans but the clouds eventually parted and we meandered down to Jester King Brewery for beer and mud pies. 


Yes, most of the smiling portraits are the result of Round Rock donut bribes. And yes, there were multiple toddler meltdowns and preschooler llama-drama, but it was a splendifurous weekend.  With or without that Perspective, I'm a super lucky lady to call these people my family. I can't say I never take their presence in my life for granted, but I do love them to bits every moment of every day. 

6 comments:

  1. Your makeup looks beautiful! What do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I use Laura Mercier concealer, Pixie sheer cheek gel, Urban Decay's Naked3 eye palette, and Maybelline Falsies mascara.

      Delete
  2. looks like y'all had a great day! my daughter has a very similar puebla dress to L's -love them, esp as it gets hotter here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to know about your dress (where you are wearing your button)! It is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The navy dress in the brunch photos is from Old Navy (purchased a couple of months ago) and the blue and white embroidered one is actually a top; it is from Gap last Spring.

      Delete
  4. Ahh! I'm holding on tight for an epic Mother's Day 2017 for this family. We were in the throes of toddler meltdowns (all dang day) that not even a box full of cupcakes could cure! I mean, champagne was still consumed, just not at 11 am, poured by a waiter, like I wanted. :) Looks like you all had a great one!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!