Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Rewind

So... that was a long time-out, yes?  

Mostly unintentional.  And the result of various factors... 

The last half of May, entire month of June, and first half of July were jam packed with travel and holidays and general summer tomfoolery.  Which I do intend to review for my own memory-keeping benefit...apologies in advance! 

As kids tend to do, my gremlins are getting older and {much} more opinionated, and sharing too many details about their lives and/or my parenting struggles just doesn't feel like the right decision for our family any longer.  I will continue to post photos, little blips, and happenings I want to remember until a time when even that feels too invasive. 

I'm looking for employment outside of the random contract hour here and there for the first time in 4 years, which is exciting and scary.  More about that soon, if appropriate.  For the moment, I will say applying for a job after such a big resumè  break is humbling.  I recognize how incredibly lucky I am in that I can afford to be a bit choosy...but you know what they say about choosy beggars.  Has my professional relevance reached beggar status?  As J would say... time will tell! 

And {the biggie}, too often, I sit down at my laptop to post a recipe or a weekend recap, and the headlines of the day end up paralyzing such frivolities.  Not that I don't love me some fluff, but I tend to feel I should bear witness to the atrocities surrounding us, here, in this space, if I'm to continue writing in it at all. But is that really what folks come here to read?  Should I care? {Not "should I care about human rights issues?" But: "should I care if readers care that I'm writing about human rights issues."} {SEE? I CAN'T EVEN ORGANIZE MY THOUGHTS TO WRITE ABOUT ORGANIZING MY THOUGHTS ON WRITING ABOUT HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUES.} In the end, I just close my Blogger browser and pen an email to another senator and share articles written by people actually have the words to say what I'm thinking.  And it doesn't make me feel much better about the world or my place of privilege in it, but isn't that a nice problem to grapple with as opposed to fearing for my life at a traffic stop or my husband's safety at his job or my family's well-being come November?

Ooof.  I swear I started this post with the intention of memorializing our Father's Day beach trip and Fourth of July weekend.  I think I'll skip that today and just let whatever that is up there in that last paragraph marinate. 

So... fluff tomorrow. Maybe.  In the meantime, thank you for being patient with me. xxoo

18 comments:

  1. Hello. Just wanted to say that I have been reading since I think just after you and E got married and I have always loved the blog. The travel recs have been spot-on, and your tales of being The World's Most Okayest Mom have helped me to reframe motherhood for myself. The desire to maintain some privacy for your children is completely understandable. We will be raising little ones in a world that absolutely does not resemble the one that we were brought up in. With that in mind, blogs are one part scrapbook, one part platform, and one part frivolity. So whatever words you share are great. Be well, and best of luck with the job search. The right one will present itself so be gentle to yourself as you look for that one to appear. All the best, Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Kat! And for sticking with me for all these years!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy your writing! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on the struggle to even find the words to what you are thinking. My blog is private, and I do try to just keep it focused on family events and kid stuff, and also keep current events/politics out because I need to maintain a relationship with my parents and in-laws and we disagree on everything, in every possible way, OTHER than our love for each other and my kids. So there's that. I'm 6 blocks away from where Philando Castile was murdered, my friends kids go to the school where he worked and knew him well. It all feels too much to bear sometimes, and like where do we even start?

    On another note, I hope you finding support in the job search from somewhere! I work as a career counselor (mostly with pre-law students actually) and hopefully your alma mater (either undergrad or law) is able to be helpful to you.

    ALSO, do you read Lag Liv? Just started reading her blog and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good reminder to check-in with my law school career center (Wake is so small and so far away that I'm guessing they won't have much to offer) -- I do have some local mentor-y / connection-y type people, but it never helps to have another person on your team! And yes, I do read LagLiv! One of the last hold-outs of fellow blogging lady lawyers!

      Delete
  4. Whatever you choose to write or share, I will look forward to it. Your little space on the interwebs always cheers me up. There is so much going on in the world these days that is exhausting and depressing. Good luck in the job search!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the exact same way about writing right now. At the end of the day, I found that it makes me feel better to take a break from the heavy and just laugh. And from what I've gathered from my friends and family (my only audience) they need a break too. Writing "fluff" or "unimportant crap" (as I like to call my own space) doesn't take anything away from the seriousness of the problems we face, but it can help people take a break from it. I love reading what you write, so I hope you keep going, but I understand exactly what you are feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! Also! I met the family that lives in your old house today at the park!

      Delete
  6. Mostly a lurker here, but wanted to chime in to say (1) I've enjoyed your blog for a long time -- I think I discovered it when we were planning a trip to Turks and found your honeymoon recap posts, and then I promptly did the weirdo stalker thing and read back through the archives because I really liked your style; (2) if you choose to ignore current events in this space, I promise I won't think you're an airhead / live in a bubble / don't care / etc; (3) I am glad you're carefully considering what aspects of your kids' lives to make public as they grow; (4) I hope you continue blogging! If trolling for topics, how about more of those meal planning/review posts that you used to do... I owe you plenty of dinner ideas thanks to the steak/asparagus salad suggestion, and am always interested in how you modify recipes for health/preferences/using up stuff in the fridge! Not having kidlets myself yet, I'm also appreciative of the periodic "here is what my munchkin loves/hates" lists for guidance when shopping for others' kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to bring back the ol' Menu Monday... and I do love a good listicle! Thanks so much for reading, G!

      Delete
  7. Yours is one of the only blogs I read anymore, and like others have said, I'll be grateful for anything you post...fluff or otherwise. And won't judge you for keeping it fluffy, current events are just so depressing right now that I've been taking a Facebook and news hiatus and burying my head in the sand because I just can't deal. And I feel you on the kids' privacy stuff - I'm constantly grappling with that myself. Lastly, just wanted to give you a virtual fist bump for your job searching! Looking forward to seeing where you end up when it all shakes out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're blogging again! I don't blog anymore but know it would be hard to know what to share with a kid in the picture now. I really hope you'll write about your Prague trip, I'm having European travel FOMO and am living vicariously through others for now. Also, what is your SC name? I caved and signed up and need people to follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely recap the Prague trip! My snapchat is cheesefiend -- Snapchat is so much fun; I love it when familiar faces pop up!

      Delete
    2. Oops! Sorry! Cheesefiend13

      Delete
  9. I have read and enjoyed your blog for a long time! I can't say I see eye to eye with you politically, but enjoy reading a different perspective than my own. I also enjoy your recipes and just random posts. Always an enjoyable read. Glad you are back(ish)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please recap Prague! I'm planning a trip there in September and need all the tips I can find!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!