Thursday, August 4, 2016

In the Greatest City in the World


I promised myself I'd jot down a few lines about our Prague and NYC trips before we hike up to the mountains for our Summer Finale.  New York was but a mere 60 hours of awesomeness, so I'll take the easy route and hammer it out first! 


New York truly is one of my favorite places in the wold. Shout out to Ann M. Martin: I've wanted to live in the Big Apple a la the oh-so-sophisticated Stacey McGill since I devoured my first Baby-Sitters Club book around age 7 or 8.  Two and a half decades later, having failed at both babysitting entrepreneurial endeavors and transcontinental relocation, I settle for frequent visits. 


This particular trip combined two of my favorite things: unscheduled alone time and an incredible Broadway experience.  E was busy in the Manhattan office, and I was perfectly content to wander during the day.  There's really not a major site in the city I haven't visited {save for the 9/11 Memorial Museum, which we wanted to save for a longer stay}, so the freedom to merely meander was a true delight.  I poked around SoHo and Chelsea, fed my face at Black Seed Bagel, hit up the MoMA during an early afternoon rainstorm, ordered high tea and bubbly at our lovely hotel, walked the High Line, stretched out with my book in Sheep's Meadow, and smiled widely in the calm of the New York Public Library. E and I also enjoyed delicious meals at the always-reliable Balthazar and new-to-us ABC Cocina, as well as a late-night pizza party at Emmett's


And we saw Hamilton.  Which I still don't have words for. 


JUST KIDDING, I HAVE MANY WORDS. 


Hamilton was everything I imagined it would be. Multiplied by 187 gazillion.  I've been talking about this show and the OCR since November, and I was a little afraid E {who enjoys musical theater but doesn't like to listen to the cast recordings until after he's seen the live show} would find it over-hyped.  Thankfully, he did not and we can remain married.  He turned to me as the lights came up for intermission and was just like "This? Is AWESOME." 

Ugggggg, YES. Yes, it's so awesome. The electricity and excitement in the theater was unlike anything I've every experienced. Everyone was SO HYPED to be there. I overheard a woman in line for the restroom comment the energy was akin to the time she saw The Beatles as a girl, and that's certainly what the applause and joy-screams sounded like each time a main character sang their first lines in the opening number and then again at key moments.  Like the ginormous nerd I am, I teared up the moment Leslie Odem Jr. walked onto the stage, and the stranger seated next to me silently pressed a Kleenex she was already clutching into my hand -- HAMILTON PEOPLE ARE MY PEOPLE. Seeing Lin and Leslie and Renee and Oak and Chris Jackson {who IS George Washington; I'm not sure who that dude is on my $1 bills, but I demand a redesign} and Daveed was, without a doubt, a Top 10 Life Experience, but I also know without a doubt that this show will remain unbelievable long after the last of the original cast leaves the stage.  I am already scheming for tickets to experience it again. 


...and just to get back to New York in general!




6 comments:

  1. I saw Hamilton in April, and like you we worried that it couldn't possibly live up to the hype. And instead, it far exceeded my expectations...it was just so awesome to be in the room (where it happened), the excitement was palpable. My Mom, sister and I smiled, clapped and periodically squealed throughout, best thing ever. Still can't stop listening to the soundtrack, Hamilton forver. Lin Manuel Miranda is such a genius, I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going on September 1 and while I'm bummed to miss out on a lot of the original cast.... I AM ALSO GOING TO SEE #(@*&$!@ HAMILTON!!!!! I have been lucky to see some Original Casts in my life and in this case, there will still be many of them (Anthony Ramos!!! OAK!) but I'm mainly just excited to *see* and *experience* the show. Sure, the music has infiltrated my bone marrow, but there are so many more elements that go into a live theater production, and I cannot wait to see all of those components at play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a packed in NYC experience! I love your slip on sneakers! Mind sharing where they are from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are actually from Target!

      Delete
  4. Since you mentioned loving the Babysitters Club, I absolutely must recommend that you check out the podcast called The Babysitters Club Club. It is the most hilarious thing ever (two thirty-something guys carefully dissecting each book) and a worthy addition to any podcast playlist!! (I'm friends with Amanda and Allison...not some completely random podcast marketer, haha. I read your blog frequently, I'm just a terrible commenter!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I'm adding this to my podcast roll IMMEDIATELY!!! Thank you!

      Delete

happy little comments!