Tuesday, October 4, 2016

back in the saddle

Popping in for a quick hello!

I'm currently plunging right into my second week back at work -- a transition that feels as if it's been a long time coming for me.  Not returning to practice after L was born was the absolute best decision for our family as a whole, and these last 4.5 years at home full-time with my kidlets have been challenging and rewarding in ways I never imagined stay-at-home parenting could be.  But on an individual level, finding my way back to a balance of family and work has been a priority for the last year or so. I know myself well enough to understand I'll be a happier and more energized returning to a career I enjoy. 

I'm thrilled to have found a family law position with a long-standing legal non-profit that provides a host of services to underserved clients statewide in a number of different arenas. {That's an unnecessarily spiffy way of saying I help parents who want to spend more time with their kids.}  My schedule is a little more than part-time which feels like a good way to shove my big ol' Lady Bigfoot pump back in the door. 

The adjustment has gone pretty smoothly thus far; my schedule varies from day to day but remains mostly the same from week to week.  Most mornings I see the kiddos for 30 minutes or so before I head out, and most days I pick them up from school. I have one super early-bird morning, one longer day when the nuggets do extended care, and one marathon day when my mom graciously helps out until supper time.  And most Fridays are 100% free.  I'm sure things will get bumpy at times {currently, parent-teacher conference scheduling is giving me a headache...and I've already been baptized in the Basin of Mom Guilt that is missing your broken-limbed daughter's ortho appointment on your very first day of work. that one stung!}, but... my choice, my bumps, yes? 

Okay. I'm powering down to more fully experience dumb Claire Danes' ugly-cry-face. Three cheers for being perpetually 6 years late to television phenomenons! 

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! Very exciting for you and the family. Can't wait to see how a DITL post looks for you now. :) Also, yes, parent-teacher conferences. Ours are scheduled this year on a day when the kids don't have school - I understand why that works for the teachers but um...what am I supposed to do with my kids if they AREN'T IN SCHOOL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new job! Sounds like it's a good fit for you - hope the transition continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you and your family - seems like great timing for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahoo! Good luck navigating a new chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new gig! Sounds like a great set-up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!! I hope it continues to be a great fit, and I'm glad you found a part-time position. I'm full time technically but with a lot of flexibility and that is the only way I can stay sane. It sounds like you have a lot of support which is key.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the new job! Ahh conference scheduling is always tricky, I'm always relieved when that time of year is over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the new gig! I'm selfishly hoping you'll post some fun work clothes (needing some inspiration). Hope it continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!! On another note, can you please share the recipe for you "big green cobbler" you posted on instagram the other day? Looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be hitting publish on a blog post this afternoon with that recipe!

      Delete
  10. So exciting, congrats!! I wanted to come here and read more when I saw you talk about a commute to work on IG. Here's to excellent balance in work/home life---the mecca!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!