Wednesday, October 5, 2016

unexpected greens

{Many thanks for the kind words on the new job sitch! I've had a surprising number of inquiries as to a rebirth of ITPitB... This tickles me to no end and I promise to mull that one over!}


Fall is... I dunno... hereish? 

My office is about 62 degrees so boots and cardigans and tights are in full effect {although I look like a total asshole traipsing through the sweltering nursery school parking lot in suede and blended fabrics 30 minutes after quitting time}, and, like the rest of my white lady brethren, October has me pining for cozy comfort food. 

Here's two easy meals that fit the bill while staying on the light side. 

Big Green Cobbler 
adapted from My Name is Yeh 


I spotted the jumping-off-point recipe for this savory "cobbler" on Pinterest a month or so ago and thought it looked like a delicious variation on pot pie -- tons and tons of green veggies tucked under a blanket of homemade biscuits. I'd bet major money the original ingredients make for one hell of a skillet meal, but I was looking for something a little less indulgent. I cut out all the dairy, added some extra spinach, replaced split peas with green peas, and used Immaculate Baking Co's canned biscuits {had to leave in a *little* fun} instead of rolling out my own. Things could have gone poorly but the end result was absolutely delicious and rich-tasting without the post-supper food coma. L loved this... B loved his biscuit. 


Ingredients:
- 1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- pinch of sugar + dash of ACV
- 3 T EVOO
- 3 leeks, halved and sliced thinly, light green and white parts only
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced 
- 4 cloves garlic, minced 
- 1 t salt 
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 2 t thyme 
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour 
- 1.5 cups veggie broth 
- 3 cups fresh spinach 
- 1.5 cups frozen peas 
- 1 can of refrigerated biscuits {I like Immaculate Baking Co} 

Slice your onions first and then sprinkle them with sugar and ACV. Let onions rest while you chop the remainder of the veggies. 

Heat oil over medium heat in a large oven-proof skillet or Dutch oven. Add onions and sauté. I like to cover them and let them sweat for a bit, before removing the lid and letting them nearly caramelize - about 10 minutes. Add in leeks, zucchini, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme - sautéing for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over veggies, stirring to coat. Then slowly pour in broth, stirring continuously. Bring mixture to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Allow mixture to simmer and thicken, stirring occasionally for 5-10 minutes. Stir in spinach and peas. 

Once the spinach had melted, top the entire shebang with the biscuits and cook in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until biscuits are brown and cooked through. Allow dish to rest and cool for 10+ minutes. 

Serves 4-6 as a main dish. 

Poblano & Corn Chicken Tortilla Soup
enjoyed via How Sweet Eats


I pretty much followed this recipe to a T, so I'm just going to redirect you to Jessica's original post. I stirred in a few more chopped tortillas at the end to serve and topped our bowls with fresh avocado and a tiny bit of feta {which sounds ridiculous but works rather nicely when one is fresh out of queso fresco}. Oh! And I used rotisserie chicken and frozen corn. Because I like my Tuesday nights like I like my Sunday mornings. 

Serves 4-6 and would be great to freeze {but any extra non-pureed tortillas you added will turn to mush in the freezer so only add those to the portion you plan to eat fresh!}.

6 comments:

  1. another vote for the return of ITPitB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please ITPitB. As a PT SAHM, PT working mama, I need the recipe inspiration and the outfit inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am dumb...what does ITPitB stand for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Take Photos in the Bathroom... It was an outfit of the day blog I had many moons ago!

      Delete
  4. Kate, I would also like to cast my vote for a return of ITPitB! As a lady lawyer (and mom) about your same age, ITPitB was always a great source of inspiration for me! I'd also like to add that your blog, EA, has always been one of my favorites! Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only found this blog after finding ITPitB years ago -- BRING HER BACK TO MEEE

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!