Thursday, May 14, 2009

thrifty, nifty

there are fo' sho' things for which i will fork over a pretty penny - including, but not limited to, skin care products, sheets, and (ahem) glorious footwear.

that said, there are several bargain-bin beauty buys that (a) i can't live without, and (b) free up the plastic for all those essential purchases. and since its tres-chic to talk about our recessionista tendencies these days, i thought i'd not-so-subtly push my preferences on to you, um, er, share with you these findings out of the kindness of my heart.

(1) i have to pass the snap cup to LegallyBlondeMel for inspiring my first pick (here): Miserly, Yet Miraculous Mascara!

yes, the virtues of DiorShow have been touted far and wide, but i've found that one coat of the golden-oldie Great Lash (i like "Blackest Black"), followed by one coat of Rimmel's Lash Maxxx (with the comb brush) gets me as close to glamour-puss as possible without professional help.


Mabelline Great Lash, Blackest Black Mascara - $4.79 + Rimmel Lash Maxxx Mascara - $7.99 vs. DiorShow Mascara - $24
Savings = $11.52


(2) Next up: Tint for a Cent!

well, not really (it was kinda just a catchy segue way) - i discovered Pixi at Target and while its not what i consider "drugstore cheap," its still eight bucks less than Benefit's cheek tint, and, (imho) its easier to apply/blend and stays on all day! i either layer two coats on the apples of my cheeks, or i apply the tint first and then brush powdered bronzer on my cheekbones - two looks, both fool-proof and pretty!

Pixi Sheer Cheek Gel - Flushed - $20.00
vs. Benefit Posie Tint - $28
Savings = $8.00


(3) now, Budget Body Wash:

coconut has always been a favorite of mine, and i've been a fan of BBW's scrub every since it stuffed my stocking one year. however, whilst browsing the aisles of CVS last week, i discovered this Softscrub version that makes me smell like a pina colada... in a good way... promise. plus it does all that good stuff, ie: exfoliates / mousturizes... without the 40 minute trip to the mall to purchase freakin' body wash.


Skin Essentials Body Butter Coconut Scrub Moisturizing Body Wash - $4.49
vs. Hua'I Coconut Scrub from Bath & Body Works - $18.50
Savings = $14.01

(4) finally, Serum for a Steal:

so, i'm not a huge hair product girl. i have a gel thingie that looks like gross bodily-fluid that i use if i'm wearing my hair curly, and then i have the Dove product below that i bought on a whim at Wal-Mart 4 years ago. if i'm blow-drying straight, i dry half-way, rub two squirts of this between my palms and over my hair, and complete the drying process with a round brush. the Dove smells clean and keeps the frizzies at bay.


Dove Anti-Frizz Cream Smooth & Soft - $4.19
vs. Warren Tricomi Pre Blow-Dry Calming Serum - $26.00
Savings = $21.90

Total Savings = $55.43

woo hoo: 50+ bones!  now i can buy... 1/10 of those sparkly friends... hmmmmm.  

8 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaaaand I'm officially the only person on earth who HATES that Maybelline mascara. It does nothing for me. My mom has been devoted to it her entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am OBSESSED with Great Lash mascara. I've been wearing it since the 8th grade.

    I wear $30.00 eyeliner...and $4.00 mascara. Seriously...the only make up I don't buy at Saks is my mascara. I've tried the expensive stuff, and it blows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried Great Lash. Is that crazy?

    I am all about budget body wash though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this important mascara update. So timely, too - would you believe that I was headed to Target today anyways to get that Rimmel mascara per your comment?

    For those who don't do well with Maybelline Great Lash, I've had better luck with Maybelline's Define-a-Lash. Both are good, but I get better lengthening love from the Define-a-Lash.

    Will also check out that Pixi blush. Haven't tried anything but a powder blush before, so I'm curious to test this out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips! I'm going to out and buy some Great Lash and Rimmel mascara ASAP! And I love cheek tint, I just never think to look at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely going to have to try the layering mascara trick!

    I am loving your blog, so I left you a little something on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to your high recommendation of Softsoap's coconut body scrub I picked some up at Target today. Can't wait to try it! Thanks for the tip :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, HATED Great Lash. I thoroughly enjoy Lancome Definicils.

    I am a new reader and enjoy your entries!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!