Wednesday, July 22, 2009

go-to's

so, today i was going to do a little online accessories shopping for a virtual bud from my Austin Knottie days who was kind enough to think of me whilst on the hunt for a new watch, but, um, i kinda got sidetracked last night. by what is neither here nor there,** but my apologies to Jess - i promise its going to be Watch Search '09 when i get back from Atlanta on Sunday!

in the meantime, i give you my go-to "i have no clue what to wear / i am so hungover i want to rip my arm off and beat my pounding head with it / could i be preggers because that's the only rational explanation for this bloat" work outfit.


along with the LBD, the magic jeans, and properly-fitted undergarments, i'm a firm believer that every career gal needs a work ensemble that she can throw on without thinking, knowing it will look decent and fit. unlike the three previously mentioned items in your fashion arsenal, the goal of your GTWO (go-to-work-outfit) is not to look smashing (although extra points for you if you do!) but to have one less thing to worry about when all your brain can compute is "gaaaaah give me coffee / water / diuretic NOW!"

my GTWO is always a dress - simply because they are easy and don't require any pesky matching aside from shoes and accessories. my current fav is the Milly cotton jersey dress i'm sporting today. it pretty much feels like i'm wearing a nightgown - sheer awesomeness. cinch the belt in on skinny days, out on bloated days. sport it with flats or heels, gold or silver accessories. throw black tights under it in the winter, and rock it bare-legged in the summer. its not the cutest dress i own, or the most flattering, but it works.

what is your GTWO?

fashion credits:
cotton jersey dress with grograin belt: Milly
black rosette headband: Etsy seller VieModerne
cluster cocktail ring: J. Crew
shoes: Matador 100mm Slingbacks, Christian Louboutin


**prosecco, Dating in the Dark, and 16 & Pregnant... no judgment, por favor - these two shows are both fascinating social commentary - DVR them - you won't be sorry. and prosecco on a Tuesday? does one really need a reason to drink prosecco? my answer is nay.

22 comments:

  1. Like you, my go-to is a printed cotton dress, heels (flats if it's a bad day), and cute jewelry.

    love the shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dresses are always my go-to also. when my belly is the size of washington state, dresses help cover it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the look! and i love milly too. my go-to is a dress as well. one i got at h&m years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my go to (before pregnancy) was a black and white DVF. always flattering and no matter how dirty my hair was or how hungover i was i always got told how skinny i looked in that dress. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love/hate 16 & Pregnant. Have you seen the finale where they give the baby up for adoption...they are too brave!

    My go-to work outfits are all wrap dresses. I don't have to think and they are oh-so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is absolutely to die for. My go to is kind of embarrassing, but it works AMAZINGLY. I found this super cute blueish skirt with an elastic waistband on sale at target. Sounds hideous, but tried it on and you can wear it either higher or lower. It has pockets which is what I'm obsessed with and you can pair it with sweaters, tops, everything. it's a big elastic waistband so I like it think it looks okay :) yea, then I realized it's liz lange maternity... HAHA but I got a small, so it works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute for feeling like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with this sentiment. I wear dresses more often than not in the summer for exactly that reason - you don't have to think about a thing when putting them on. Also, they're just cooler to wear when it's so damn hot out that even the thought of a waistband on skin makes me break out into a sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always fall back on dresses when I am feeling sluggish in the morning. I drank a bottle of champagne last night so today I am wearing a cotton dress from ATL, Nine West sandals circa 2004, and no jewerly. But I look better than half the people I work with so it's alright :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is adorable! My go-to is a BCBG print dress I picked up at Nordstrom...dresses are so easy and always look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look like a little girl playing dress up in pant suits, so its either dresses wih a blazer, or skirt suits for me. My go-to is a black Theory dress in a light weight suiting material, empire waist (tummy bloat gone!) with pockets (hurrah!), black and white tweedy blazer (if weather-appropriate) and printed J.Crew wide headband (hopefully makes my bad hair day ponytail look somewhat professional).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your dress! I totally agree--I have a go-to dress that I can dress up or down depending on how I'm feeling. It's great having that thing in your closet that you just don't have to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That dress is a fabulous go to dress! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your work outfits are so cute! I can barely pull together an outfit at 11 am to go to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love our bathroom photos! So cute and that dress looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Before I was legally required to wear suits, I wore nothing but dresses to work year round.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The dress is so cute and I love the headband. My office does not require suits, so I wear dresses almost every day in the summer (so easy)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to wear more dresses... but I am short and busty... what are you suggestions for 5'1" little ole me???

    You look adorable, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want your shoes. That's what I got out of this post.


    And you look amazing for feeling the way you do. I barely can brush my teeth when I have a "headache"!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL I love the outfit ...you are always dressed to the 9's ...Id be that jealous co worker.....and hope you are having fun in A-town!!! Cant wait to see what you dig soon! Thanks friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wished I looked that cute on the days I don't know what to wear. You look fab!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!