Saturday, July 11, 2009

quit your day job (?)

amazing discovery!

so, i'm sitting here at work on a Saturday afternoon - not so much working, btw, but alternating between drooling over newly-discovered design blogs and executing sets of (very sad) plies (no judgment: no one else is here, i'm not billing for it, i'm feeling slightly frumpy, and the back of my desk chair is perfect barre height!) - and i stumble across this section on Etsy's Blog, all about artists who've quit their day jobs and made a go of it doing what they love. (including seller hijirik studio whose letterpress "Live What You Love" print should be zipping its way through postal service on its way to Dallas as we speak!

while i think i'll leave the artistry to those with actual talent* and keep my day job for the foreseeable future,** it is inspiring to see and potentially support others who are living the dream!





*unless there's a booming market for somewhat amateur, somewhat abstract, acrylic paintings of small furry terriers / toulouse lautrec rip-offs / swirly trees that i haven't heard about, in which case... sign me up!

**unless they hand out C. Lous at the unemployment office, in which case... sign me up!

9 comments:

  1. Blech - sorry you're working on a Saturday, but it appears that you're balancing out the work nicely with pretty finds. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought studying for the bar on a saturday was awful, but sounds like it doesn't get much better after the bar. :( Hope you get to enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. as a dance teacher, i love that you're doing plies on your desk chair. your buns will thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Etsy makes me swoon. I love the stuff by Studio Mela. I have a few of their things in my favorites on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that print hanging in my kitchen! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, don't you love finding such pretty things on Etsy?? That flowered tank is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would buy your art in a heart beat. I especially love the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I freaking LOVE Etsy. I'll always dig around on there for gifts and/or things for myself. My favorites are Luxe Deluxe (such pretty jewelry!), Rose la Biche (currently closed for a bit while she's on holiday) and Gruhche. Gruhche (Vera) is making me a mummy dress right now (which you can see here) and I can't wait to get it!

    The people on Etsy are just so ridiculously talented- I can barely work a stapler the right way, and yet they all sew and paint and design and create. It blows me away. I try to support it whenever I can. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, pretty finds! I love that paper airplane pillow.

    cozystyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!