Wednesday, September 2, 2009

business cocktail?

as a full-on Irish lass, i could always go for a little "kick" in my weekday coffee, but alas, bosses can be real sticklers for that whole "professional responsibility" thing. so no, i am not advocating imbibing during work hours (unless you happen to work at Mangia Pizza on Lake Austin Blvd circa 2001... best. summer. job. ever.)

i am, however, challenging you to add a little fiesta-feel to your workday-wardrobe by masquerading your favorite cocktail duds as snappy-business-attire!

i've been doing this a lot lately since the shopping funds are a running a bit low and i'm bored with many of my summer work looks. this approach to layered dressing is also perfecto for those days when you have after-work plans with no time to run home in between (CT, anyone?).

today's look:



Shoshana navy dress with matching gold-link belt
J. Crew petal cardigan
J. Crew skinny leather blush-metallic headband
J. Crew gold flower earrings
J. Crew double-loop gold chain necklace
Banana Republic bangle
J. Crew Serengeti Juliet pumps

last week, i even managed to don a strapless number with a bubble hem disguised with a black and white brocade half-jacket.

+
something like...

Catalina Boler0 {Anthropologie}


the key to pulling this off without looking like you zipped into work as a detour from this morning's Walk of Shame is picking a dress in a tamer color, sans sparkles, sequins or beads (unless you work at The Birdcage - in which case, i'm officially jealous as that would be even better than working at Mangia Pizza on Lake Austin Blvd circa 2001). add a prim-ish cardigan or jacket and you're good to go!

Cheers, chickadees!

14 comments:

  1. love reading your blog! i tagged you over at mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these work fashion posts. However, they make me miss working in an office. :) Working at home has it's benefits, but I miss dressing up! You always look so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I too am always looking for ways to get more mileage out of my dresses by making them appropriate for both of the bars in my life - that of the legal variety and that which serves cocktails. :) It's tough sometimes to dress professionally but still maintain some semblance of your personality. You seem to pull it off so easily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that you are always taking pics of your cute little outfits in the bathroom! hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tips! I am about to start a new job next week that has a "business casual" dress code. I have business and casual but not not the combined, but perhaps I can work with both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that navy dress!

    And, I do this all the time, too. I wear strapless dresses to work with a cardigan or blazer over them. Of course, they are not over-the-top dresses, just plain or with a print (no sequins here).

    Who said being a lawyer meant you had to dress boring?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving your look today...super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am picturing you taking that picture at work in your office bathroom and someone walking in. I would pee.

    Help me put together my look for this wedding I have to go to!
    this is my dress in black and I need some snazz for it:
    http://www.edressme.com/bh0502.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that dress! and your shoes! Basically, the whole outfit! I really like your hair too! I like how the headband has some hair going over it on the sides. I am going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love it when you talk fashion!!!! And then you add in pictures...sigh...it just makes my day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Patricia

    http://dataentryjob-s.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it!! You look so sheek! Hope you have a great day! = )

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!