Friday, January 1, 2010

01.01.10

Welcome to 2010!  That was pretty painless, right?**



The new year (+ decade) finds me still in my supa-dupa-sexy longhorn pj pants, enjoying my mom's blackeyed pea soup with venison sausage and collard greens and lounging lazily in front of bowl games.  And since today is also the day for resolutions, humor me as I send mine out into the universe (i.e., let me write these bitches down so as to shame myself into actually attempting to follow through):

Health & Fitness:

(1) New Directions.  Gladly, I'm trucking along nicely with my weight loss goals and am overall pleased with my activity level.  However, 10 more pounds down (plus the 2 or 3 I can feel creeping on from the holidays) and the ability to wear my favorite Hudson jeans while breathing would make me an extremely happy camper.  And since Fabulous New Trainer's other name is Fabulously Expensive New Trainer, I'm going to have to hammer out a new fitness plan for myself once my current package expires (at least until we are once again a two income family).  Which provides a nice lead-in for my next fitness goal...

(2) Forest Gump Moment.  This year, I shall be a runner.  As my current form rivals Phoebe Buffay's, I will not aim to be a good runner.  Or a fast one.  Just a runner.  I've spent a good part of my life saying that I would never understand people whose Bucket Lists included marathons and treks up Mount Everest.  I can get wherever I'm going just fine walking, and do you people know how fucking cold it is up there in the Himalayas?  Yeah, well, somehow, the running (re: slow jogging) bug bit me some time in the last couple of months and I hope to have several races under my belt this time next year, including, dare I say, a 26.2 miler.  Let's hope 2011 doesn't find me interviewing sherpas.



(3) Garbage In, Garbage Out.  Except in Reverse.  Less concentration on what's "fat free" or "low cal" and more concentration on inputting good, real food into my mouth.  Conscious (and conscientious) eating was a well-accomplished goal of this past year, but the New Year brings the new challenge of maintaining those habits on a much-tightened budget.

(4) Yoga, Yoga.  This one's pretty simple.  I need more yoga in my life.  Besides making me all pretzely and limber and bendy, it makes my mind feel like this.  If any Dallas gals have recs for good Hatha and/or Bikram classes, I'd greatly appreciate the input (I love the classes at Exhale but they are a bit pricey).

Career

(5) Um, Get One.  What would you do for a living if money and qualifications were no object? My answer to this question is obviously "be Malia Obama."  First runner up, however, would involve someone paying me to write something.  Declaring outloud "I want to be a writer" is really fucking scary and hard (except for last night - apparently three glasses of champagne, one of red wine and two firefly sparklers makes it really easy to say) but at least I've said it.  That doesn't mean I'm going to start playing Carrie Bradshaw, but I think my soul-searching days are coming to a swift end (in this life sector, at least).  I'm ready for action in 2010.

Personal

(6) Leaps & Bounds.  EA has grown beyond my greatest expectations, and I can only hope for continued evolution in the upcoming months.  My happy little elephants will get their own URL very, very soon, and I have an amazing giveaway and shopping opportunity coming up next week!

(7) Remove Head from Ass.  Less "me, me, me!"  Less materialism.  Less judgment.  Less time worrying about "first world problems."  Notice I'm saying "less," as opposed to "stop."  Can't ruin all the fun, now can we?

Speaking of fun... the whole fam had some last night...














That last one of BP and I "beatin' up on that beat," Jersey Shore Style.

Bring it on, 2010.  Bring it on.

**Unless you happen to be Evs... who attempted to combat a tummy ache by drinking his weight in rum and diet coke last night.  Since I am usually the asshat who over-serves herself on NYE, I (a) feel sorry for the poor fellow, and (b) am secretly glad that someone else gets to be the asshat this year.  Perhaps next year, no one will be the asshat.  One can dream.

23 comments:

  1. happy new year, kate! love your resolutions! i'm starting over tomorrow with the running project... i really need to go ahead and enter that marathon lottery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what great resolutions! Two of mine are similar - yoga and becoming a runner....we'll see how they go :) happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running?! I like! ha ha. You can be a runner. Anyone can, I believe you will be a good one too.

    I signed up for a race and that's what got me back into it, since I told myself, well you can't suck at the race now can you? I do well with the negativity. :)

    I totally agree with you, the whole, ' I want to be a writer ' and admitting that is the scariest part. Believe me, I'm constantly asking myself the same questions. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Kate. Go Kate go. Rooting from the sidelines on all counts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to spend the New Year and beginning of the new decade with you, Evs and the Boom. Your resolutions are awesome!XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG your fist pump photo made me laugh so hard! love it!

    wishing you a fantastic 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, looks like a fantastic new years celebration! Love your top! I'm totally with you on the yoga resolution, I need some zen that lovely little workout brings! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the glittery tank. so much better than a dress for a crappy law firm party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, do the writing. Do It, I'm buying!
    Let us see how you are at it...How about a quick little something here at EA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, do the writing. Do It, I'm buying!
    Let us see how you are at it...How about a quick little something here at EA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, do the writing. Do It, I'm buying!
    Let us see how you are at it...How about a quick little something here at EA.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read for awhile but never commented.. so hello! If you have a LuluLemon store near you, they often have free yoga classes on a weekly basis... I'm no yoga-pro but I thought for being free they were pretty fab (in San Antonio they would feature instructors from various gyms/studios)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love love love your writing style.. do it girl!
    Happy 2010~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yea girl! Our fitness/health goals are so similar. Especially with running and eating GOOD food (not necessarily sweetened with splenda crap). Anyways, cheers to you and I love that glittery top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy new year! i'm a long-time lurker, but your running resolution has motivated me to comment. in my opinion, you've already conquered the biggest hurdle to becoming a runner...deciding you actually WANT to run!
    my journey to the boston marathon and my wedding (yes, i'm a crazy person) are here: blush-n-bashful.blogspot.com
    also, i'm a chicagoan, so let me know if you need any recommendations for your next visit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i absolutely love your blog! i hope you do take up the writing more this year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. there is a GREAT bikram yoga spot at mockingbird and abrams, upstairs from the tom thumb :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it, love it! Especially #3 and #7 (and Malia Obama aspirations, of course!).

    That soup looks amazing, by the way! Feel free to give up the recipe :-).

    ReplyDelete
  19. fabulous resolutions and fabulous gold sequined top! l.o.v.e

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year! I'm sure 2010 will be filled with great things for you.

    YAYAY for hoping to have some races under your belt by the end of the year--I know you can do it! I might be "a runner", but, I'm not fast and I'm 100% OK with that. Good luck with all of your 2010 goals!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yoga in Dallas... There is an awesome (and ass kicking) bikram studio at Mockingbird and Abrams-- it's in the whole corner with the Tom Thumb, Ihop, TCBY, Boston Market-- called Bikram Yoga-Dallas.

    There is also a hatha yoga studio called Uptown Yoga in, you guessed it, uptown. And while they don't have hot yoga it gets really damn steamy in the room and gets me sweating for sure.

    And on a much randomer note, I was JUST telling my bf that I needed to start using the word asshat more often. Written on the bathroom stall of my favorite dive bar in college was "George Bush is an asshat." And while I may or may not agree with that politically I can always agree with calling someone an asshat!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck with all your goals for 2010!!! That Friends episode with Phoebe and Rachel is one of my faves. I'm signing up for a 1/2 marathon with my sister this year. We're running it in August. I'm very nervous but really excited. As much as I'm not a huge fan, running is the one thing that gets the weight off quickly for me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok, I'm a few days late here, but I liked your post a lot and I wanted to make one comment about the running. It's this: You can totally become a runner without doing a marathon (or heck, without doing any races at all!). It seems like many people who start running these days think that marathoning is the big singular goal. I've been running since I was 14 (and I'm 31 now) and I have never run a marathon and don't want to! Running is a lifelong sport that is fantastic for your body, but consistent, lower-intensity running is better for you than intense training that drops off as soon as the big race is over. Run because you like it, because it makes you feel strong, because you get to be outdoors and away from a gym. Then, later, decide if you want to do a marathon. Don't do one just because it's the thing right now.

    Your blog is great :)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!