Thursday, February 11, 2010

Favorite Things: February

I do actually have Pretty (Valentine) Paper to share, but my 2010 Love Day selections are currently traveling to the mailboxes of all of my favorite people, so you'll just have to wait until Sunday!  In lieu of PPT, I bring you PPHT... chock full o' things I Pink Puffy Heart! 

Perennial Mini Colander from Anthropologie ($12)


This is sheer perfection for washing produce (think tomatoes, grapes... grape tomatoes!) and draining smaller food portions (canned legumes, pasta for one, etc).  No more wrestling with the mega colander!  Plus, it looks pretty darn adorable hanging out with my collection of latte bowls


Target Wine Cube - 2008 Pinot Grigio (prices vary by size)


BEFORE YOU GET ALL JUDGE-Y-McJUDGERTON, please note that I only purchase this for cooking (uh, kind of).  That said, here's the dill-pickle: I hate purchasing wine specifically for cooking.  (a) Wine is meant to be drunk (drank? who freakin' knows), not whisked around with lemon zest and butter.  I mean, yes, there are delish recipes that require wine... but I'd rather that golden nectar land in my glass, rather than my Le Creuset.  Which leads me to (b)... When I purchase wine with the intent to cook with it, seven times out of ten, it goes into my belly via Riedel, and not by way of chicken picatta.  The other 30% of the time, I open the bottle, cook with it, attempt to be good and save it for future culinary use, and then come to find that its gone all nasty by the time I'm ready to use it again.   Enter: Target Wine Cube.  Economical!  Keeps for at least 4 weeks! Cardboard packaging degrades you into "just saying no" when tempted!  AND... If, hypothetically, you chose to take the Wine Walk of Shame, the Pinot Grigio ain't that shabby (85 on the Wine Spectator... in a freakin' box!).  

(Please note my Labeling Skillz... a/k/a Keep Husband Away from Shameful Secret Stash Skillz)

Farm Vases from IKEA ($1.99 a piece)


Last week, I had a wholly irrational yet extremely intense desire to trek out to IKEA.  This desire cannot be explained by any source of reason, but HOT DAMN if I didn't clean up for mere freakin' pennies!  These farm vases rated high on the Scale of Favoriteness and are now taking up residence all over the cottage.  I love the texture and how they are reminiscent of milk glass.  Oh.  And (obvs) the price.  


What are you currently crushing on? 

20 comments:

  1. I love Anthropologie for vintage-y looking kitchen ware and that mini colander is darling! I must pick it up, it's perfectly apartment sized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving all of your finds! And I could really go for a glass of vino, even from a box. On Sunday I can have wine once again!! So that is my favorite thing of February :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am braving an actual Ikea store for the first time next week (I've ordered from them in the past but their shipping sucks). I must find these vases!!! I'm redoing my kitchen and I think they would be fabulous on the table!!! Thank you for sharing. :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, love all those things! Love those vases from Ikea. If I was brave enough to drive up there, you can bet that I'd stock up on those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I happen to love the White Sangria cube from Target! It is a little too sweet but if you mix it with some Sprite Zero it is pretty delicious! Good for hot summer days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those vases... About to make the trek to IKEA for some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the wine cube idea! I also have a really hard time cooking with wine. I usually end up needing a cup or so of the bottle and then feel the need to finish the rest of the bottle asap. The cube seems like the perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
  8. IKEA makes my day every time I go there. I'm totally in love with their plant section. The real plants look fake, the fake plants look real. It's so crazy!! Last time I was there, I had to force myself NOT to buy a money tree... but I still lust after it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adore those vases! And at $1.99? I need to take a trip to Ikea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm crushing on that colander from Anthro!! That's so great, and that color is so pretty! I also have a hard time with keeping wine for cooking...just don't use it enough. Great idea for the box wine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Secret stash cooking wine....only you...

    ReplyDelete
  12. we travel with another couple all over the place and the one constant is my husband and his box o wine. no vacation would be complete without the sound of him pulling the box out of the hotel fridge whilst shaking his head and saying "it never runs out" now i am not saying i have done this BUT some boxed wines are tasty enought that you could serve them from a *recycled* bottle of wine and pass it off as it's classier step-sister "bottled" wine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Target wine cubes! For drinking, not cooking. Although as a college student I guess my standards aren't all that high...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your blog a few weeks ago and it went from "hmm what is this" to one of the first sites I visit every day. I read your tweets and laugh out loud!

    Umm, now that I got that out of the way...where did you get that "Live What You Love" print? Mu Hubs will kill me if I buy another random poster with a mantra on it, but whatevs, I gotta have it! It will match my "Keep Calm and Carry On" collection and mishmosh of initials I have all over the house.

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, in the event that you do open a bottle of wine for cooking sometime, and go with the "trying to be good and save it for next cooking use" route, there is an easy solution. Take the rest of the bottle, pour it into ice cube trays, freeze, then pop out the cubes and put them in a ziploc freezer bag. When you go to cook next time, just remember that each cube is a little less than 1/4 cup, and use as many as you need accordingly.

    For cooking, you'll never be able to tell that it was frozen, it doesn't affect the flavor at all. Only thing to remember: since there's alcohol, they don't get to a hard freeze like water or other liquids. They do freeze, but they stay a little slushy. So go double on the ziploc bag so that you won't have any leaks in your freezer (I learned that one the hard way, obvs ;) ).

    This is one of my favorite "save money while still cooking well" tricks! I never feel guilty about opening a whole bottle of wine when I need 1/2 cup for a recipe, because I know I'll then have another couple months' supply in the freezer. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this post! currently i'm crushing on some TB revas..i feel then calling my name soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those IKEA farm vases are so pretty! Where were those during my wedding planning days? And surprisingly, the Target boxed wine isn't half bad, though I still can't get over the whole "boxed" part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was at the local Hobby Lobby this weekend and saw a great pair of elephant bookends- thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must pick it up, it's perfectly apartment sized

    Make website india

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!