Monday, February 15, 2010

snow + jibber-jabber

(1) I have an interview for a Lady Lawyer Job that I am ultra-enthused about (re: one that does not make my soul want to curl up in a ball and rock back and forth silently in a corner).  The interview is Thursday.  I've been contemplating appropriate wardrobe choices for three days.  Please send sparkle fingers and happy thoughts.

(2) This past weekend, I (begrudgingly) saw Avatar since (a) 3D is fun, and (b) it was one of the only Best Picture nominated films we had yet to see.  I (begrudgingly) really, really liked it.  I would say "love" but.... Let's put it this way:  I believe in global warming, and Al Gore, and reusable grocery sacks, and national conservation, and organic living, and carbon footprints, and MJ's "Heal the World," and the Sequoias, and the little Keebler Elves that live in the Sequoias. And because I'm a big, smelly crunchy-granola hippie in yuppie clothing, I'm down with any piece of pop culture that preaches "STOP FUCKING UP OUR PLANET, YOU ASSHOLES" to the masses (Captain Planet? Totally my hero 'cause he was takin' pollution down to zero).  I do, however, appreciate a modicum of subtly... and subtly?  'Ain't Jimmy C's strong suit.  My inner-WASP could have done without the extended swaying/chanting-in-tongues portions of the film (it was akin to my yoga instructor practicing audible yogi breathing and placing her hands on the small of my back whilst I'm in downward-dog... too much touching).  

(2.1) Relatedly, Evs was forced to sit next to half of a very unsexy couple - a lady who brought her own foam doughnut to sit on and a massive Macy's shopping bag full of snacks and layers of clothing.  We quickly dubbed her "Hemorrhoid Lady."  Which, yes, is really mean, but this gal rummaged around in that damn sack every freakin' 10 minutes.  The movie is 2 hours and 42 minutes... that's 16.2 times she rummaged!  If the condition of your arse is so uncomfortable that you must bring your own personal cushioning and various accoutrement, how's about you make it a Blockbust (or Netflix, or Pay-Per-View, or Big Red Box) Night? 

(3) You may have heard that down here in Dallas we had our own little Mini Snomagedon.  It was lovely to watch Thursday afternoon... 12 hours of light, fluffy flakes falling whimsically out my window... building Snow Ladies.... goading my dog into being even more of an idiot... 

  
{turn the volume doooown}

It was even a little bit fun and campy when all the transformers in the neighborhood blew and we spent the evening reading by candle-light.  (Admittedly, part of that fun was aided by my smugness at having just scored 100 tea lights at IKEA for $3.99, but whatevs). 

What was NOT SO FUN was waking up the next day, still without power, to a foot of snow (all-time record in this area) and several downed trees in our yard.  Luckily for me, there are 5 duvets in this house and 590 pages in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... I needed each and every one of those to get me through an entire day in a house with no electricity and a temperature of 45 degrees indoors.  


Next year, I think I'll just take an inch or two.  Thanks.  

36 comments:

  1. Good luck at your interview! I love your snowman. I still can't believe this Texas winter. Insane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your interview!!! Holy snow!! WOW!!! I love the snowman's bikini top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygosh! I had no idea you got THAT much snow! Wow. Happy y'all survived down south. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck this week! i know you'll do great! and crazy snow! it was like that in KC when we got home from Houston Christmas and it was nutso!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck this week! i know you'll do great! and crazy snow! it was like that in KC when we got home from Houston Christmas and it was nutso!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your husband is holding a broom instead of a shovel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Boom looks like my Layla when we had snow a few weeks ago. Dogs in the snow are way cooler than dogs in sun. Until those dogs turn the snow yellow.

    I saw Avatar over Christmas, and while I liked it, I did kind of think it was a little too much Cowboys vs. Indians. And it was about an hour too long for me. But, it was a good message and the animation was great. I just have a lot of mixed feelings.

    Good luck at the interview! We all know you'll stun them with your interview outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the Lady Lawyer Job interview. You'll kick butt! Love those snow pictures - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow makes everything look so pretty! Good luck on your interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck on your interview!! I can not believe you all got that much snow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck on your interview! I gotta say that it sucks that you sat next to a lady who made noise during a movie (that is one of my ALL TIME pet peeves and one of the main reasons I watch movies at home). But with that said, when I was 16, I feel and broke my tailbone and had to carry around a doughnut to sit on while my ass healed. So, I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll be sending lots of good wishes your way for your job interview.

    And I'm so jealous of all the snow. We just moved from Dallas to Houston, and I'm bummed I missed out on the massive amounts of snow. At least we got lots of rain down here...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending good vibes and best wishes for your interview!!! And I'm jealous of the snow..it just gets COLD here, with nothing to show for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i knew your house was gorgeous. i had no idea snow would make it look like something out of the cover of a magazine. good luck with the interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pictures of The Boom. Good luck at your interview Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. From a fellow unemployed lady lawyer, good luck on your interview!!!

    I can't believe Dallas got that much snow! Your dog is precious :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck on your interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely snowlady indeed. I live in Finland and I think the codewords for surviving the winter time is *tadaa* hot chocolate, layering lots of clothes and triplewindows. :D My dogs go also out-of-their-minds-happy when it snows for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Luck on your job interview!!!!! Lovely snow picts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha! Look at the Boom. All extremeties are crossed for your interview.

    I am refusing to see Avatar, based on my feelings on James Cameron and my inherent dislike on any movies involving aliens. Seriously- I don't even like Star Wars or ET (and I realize that is insane, no need to tell me).

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK so best of luck on your interview--you will do great!! Anddd I LOVE how cute your house looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sending sparkle fingers, jazz hands, happy dances, etc your way for a fabulous interview--yay!!

    Love the snow pictures. My dogs were less thrilled about the snow and while we were lucky enough to not lose power, we did lose several trees--which, we get to take care of. Ahhh, the joys of home ownership.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You'll do great at your interview! I still can't believe it snowed that much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck with your interview. I look forward to hearing more about it? Is it with a firm?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good luck with your interview! Your snow pictures are beautiful. It has been a crazy winter in the South this year. We even got four inches in south Georgia from that same storm. Really glad we did not get as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so exciting about your interview! Sending the good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Snowman in a bikini top = cutest thing ever. Good luck with your interview lady!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good luck at the interview, I am sending all the good luck I seemed to have at my last interview your way! :)

    And this might sound creeper but I Love your house! I've never seen a picture of it and it's so cute :) That is way too much snow though!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I so love your snow lady! You got as much snow as i did and I live in Toledo, Ohio. That is not fun. Your dog is great though. My dog likes to play in it too but he s not as cute as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Snowwomen with eyelashes?!?! I think I'm in love. With them/you.

    Don't curse y'all's snowmageddon... Austin didn't get squat and I am jealous like only an only child lady can be!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I giggled at your bikini-clad snowman/woman. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  32. what a surprise to get so much snow in dallas! i kinda loved it :-).

    ReplyDelete
  33. I noticed the little Susan G Komen pin on your snowman - very cute! I am actually doing the 3day this year in Boston and just began training last week. Great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. As a lifelong resident of Texas, those snow pics are completely blowing my mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You need to go to Sequoia National Park and see General Sherman! We (man-boy and I, because all men are man-boys. Anyway, I tease because I love) went in December while we were in California. You have to go!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!