Tuesday, March 30, 2010

little things

I've been reading Alexandra Stoddard's Happiness for Two (another little "paper" gift from someone I like-like... if you know what I mean) - just a mini-chapter (2 or 3 pages apiece) a night, before bed, as somewhat of a... I don't love the word "devotional," so I'll say "moment of reflection," or perhaps, "meditation."  The book itself is a bit on the cheesy side in the sense that it's filled with the type of wisdom your mother might impart that triggers an eyeroll... but, deep-down, you can't help but know it's true.  

A paragraph that struck me last night... 

One of the greatest aids to my intellectual and spiritual growth has been my ability to concentrate my mental powers on one object as a way to become more mindful... Through the power of our attention, we can become one with a flower, a sunset, or a child's smile.  When we pay attention, we observe with loving consideration.  We practice being here, now, in unity with our breath and life. 

Ahhhhhh Peace.  Serenity.  Contentment.  Call it what you might, it's a tricky little bugger for sure.  But, in the effort of Happiness (for Me!  and thus, for Two!), I'll give "being in the here and now" a shot...


- Green curry for dinner

- Pretty, pretty, pretty paper... stacked neatly, begging to be thumbed through and rumbled a bit

- Good wine... just one glass

- Empty dirty-clothes-hampers 

- Single blooms... one in an antique milk bottle

- Daddies who read their daughters' blogs... and secretly order them antique milk bottles for no reason at all

-  Husbands who come home just when you miss them the most... but not before you've watched a couple girlie shows on the DVR

- Vacations waiting in the wings

What combinations of simple things make you feel right with the world? 

18 comments:

  1. Husbands come home right after you've finished up with quality girly/tivo time but just before you start to worry...is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree with mWm more, I absolutely love when I get home and have time to squeeze in a little Real Housewives or something else equally girly before my husband gets home. It's the perfect way to start a relaxing night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does designer shoes on the cheap cheap on Ebay count as the here and now. Okay how about a fiance that doesn't dilly through the details of American Express bills. You and your Land's End post could have contributed to my demise a little this month. I am also thankful that I realize women over 30 should never wear a romper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good weather, guilty pleasure television shows, online shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so true about "being in the now." for the last three years i feel like i've been holding my breath waiting for law school to finally be over...but i really need to concentrate on being happy now, not later.

    and beautiful tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a new recipe to try, a nice crisp dry white wine, an exciting book to dive into, a lazy weekend with no plans but lots of time with the hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. empty dirty clothes basket is great! although not as great as an empty dryer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, that is too cute that your dad got you antique milk bottles. Seriously adorable!

    I enjoy a good glass of red wine, laughter, sunny weather and a good book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. when everything just seems to happen at the right time (literally, not figuratively!). for me that's when Elle wakes up right at 7:30 as my alarm is going off (not at 6:45 so there's not enough time to go back to sleep and not in the middle of the night!), when the bus is running right on schedule, when the line at Starbuck's is short, etc. those little things just make everything feel "right" in my world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sunny weather, arranging flowers in a cute vase, a glass of wine, cooking a delicious meal, and maybe a little exercise after!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great living-in-the-moment happinesses... just perfect. I love when the husband comes home at the perfect time. Have a great vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have to say starting the week off with a full tank of gas - because then I know I can make it through the week without having to stop for gas, a chore I hate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having a husband that comes home early on a day where the baby is being a little fuss-buster and will not let you put him down, and then takes the little dude for a walk while you watch Gilmore Girls.

    The way that same little dude's face absolutely lights up when I walk in the room after he wakes up from a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dad is possibly the sweetest father ever. Well, after my own dad at least:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sipping a mimosa by the fire as Fiancé plays the guitar and sings to me in our favorite room of the house. Finding the perfect pair of shoes (at an amazing deal). Feeling the breeze in my hair and the sun on my face on the boat on a summer day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Calls from my husband saying he's proud of me and texts that say "i picked up dinner so you don't have to cook". Oh and opening up the mailbox to find it filled with nothing but magazines (no bills!).

    That's wonderful to me.

    Great post. I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Having a tidy space makes me at ease. Even if my to-do list is still 10 miles long, having the clutter put away seems to make everything ok.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!