Wednesday, May 19, 2010

rainbow sprinkles

Yesterday was a bear of a day... First, my 30 minute commute was nearly tripled for an unknown reason... Obviously there was an accident somewhere, but it was cleared by the time I passed wherever it was... which - as morbid as this may be - is totally obnoxious in it's own way: if something is going to make me late, I'd like to be able to appreciate the seriousness of the impediment... otherwise, I'm just pissy.   

Anyhoo, I arrived at work 30 minutes late for my 9 AM client accidentally double-booked (unbeknownst to me) 9 AM clients.  And my 11 AM client appointment?  ALSO DOUBLE-BOOKED.  Seeing as I have no administrative help, the only person to blame is moi.  So special. 

You know what else is special? Finding your (relatively) new Nike running shorts under the bed with the crotch of the built-in underpants ripped out.  There is only one member of our household with an affinity for stanky unmentionables and the ability to hide under the bed... she has floppy ears, frito-breath, and her name rhymes with THE DOOM.  Thank you, Woman's Best Friend, for desecrating yet another pair of expensive underpinnings (it's never the granny panties with this one - oh no! - only the best Hanky Pankies and pricey workout gear for her!). 

Finally - the Coup de Grace of Crap - I spent a good hour stirring and julienning and spicing, hoping and wishing and praying that this would be the recipe that would ignite a fiery passion for curry that I just *know* is deep down there somewhere in the pit of Evs' belly.  Um, yeah... it was Terrible with a Capital T.  Sucky sucky sucky suckster.  So gag-inducing that I put the entire pot down the disposal and we ate cheese and crackers for dinner.  This Dinner Debacle was made even more frustrating by the fact that the recipe came from my favorite new cookbook, Everyday Food: Fresh Flavors Fast (red curry beef).  This is the first time the Everyday Food series has let me down... and this was a BIG let down!  

So, Tuesday, I officially quit you.  

Thank goodness for the "little things" right?  I think I can rightfully call these "cositas" the rainbow sprinkles in my shit sundae.  {Or more aptly, the "funfetti" in said shit sundae, as I really see no point in rainbow sprinkles - they taste gnarly and they stain your tongue with chalky nastiness.  Funfetti, on the other hand, is the shizz. Therefore, please mentally change the title of this post to "Funfetti."  Gracias.}


There's really not much that can top a glass of cool white wine and a strawberry popsicle, enjoyed outside on a red Adirondack chair, on a Texas summer evening.  Extra points for the honeysuckle deliciously in bloom and the free entertainment of kids playing tag in the yard across the street. 


These fellas landed here after our Oregon trip, and I think they've decided to take up permanent residency in this spot.  Perhaps the only corner of our home that appears to have been styled by the Pottery Barn Prop-Master, it's the first of many that quietly announce "we live here, together." 


I'm always stocking up on the Mrs. Meyer's products but hadn't "test-sniffed" the basil scent until Sunday... Honestly, I assumed it'd be kind of, well, gross.  {I love the smell of fresh basil, but would rather my hands didn't smell of it unless I've been handling the real deal.}  Oh Sweet God of Cleaning Accoutrement - I've been missing out!  I'm about as jazzed about this stuff as a non-Martha-type can be.  The only upside of last night's Sucky Supper Shenanigans?  The fresh-n-springy scented cleanup.  {Oh dear, now I know I've gone mad!}


I'm not a scrapbooking type of gal... but I do love a fridge boasting tiny snipits of noteworthy events - a small reminder of fun things on the horizon, of good friends, of happy times past - every time I grab a diet coke! 


She may be a Dirty Panty Eater, but she's my Dirty Panty Eater.  And the perfect end to any type of day involves my little cornchip-smelling-pup snuggled under the covers.

Curses to Tuesday!  And, Cheers to Wednesday!  

22 comments:

  1. try the williams-sonoma basil scented kitchen candle. it will put you over the edge. i have them stockpiled. they are so, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you on the Mrs. Meyers. The handsoap is divine. I wash my hands more since I discovered it (gross, I know). Also, that last picture is adorable. I looooove puppy feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Sounds like my Monday was like your Tuesday... gross. But today is Wednesday and we are officially halfway through the week! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry your day yesterday was SUCKTASTIC. I love all things Meyers too. I mean the geranium scent rocks. Sweet pup pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, ooh, I spy a certain moving announcement!!

    Love this. Fellow Mrs. Meyers freak over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it makes you feel any better... I've always heard that Tuesday is the new Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too had a horrible Tuesday, thanks for the post it made me feel a bit better and a good reminder to look for the little pieces of positive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Know the feeling- I almost quit my job Monday (by almost I mean i contemplated how I wish I could but would never actually ever do that). Doesn't the wellies in your hall make y ou feel so British?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It definitely sounds like you had one of those days yesterday, but I'm so glad it's turning around today!!!! I love the last pic of the pup, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm kind of creeped out by this post but in a totally good way. (You know. If being creeped out were good & all.) Mostly because: Mrs. Meyers Basil is my favorite thing ever, we like the same kind of popsicle, our fridge's match down to the decor & happy memories and our dogs must be long lost twins of the Panty Eating Variety.

    It was like reading a glimpse of my life! Cheers! (Also: Method pink grapefruit counter spray- YUM)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that you got the "wag less, bark more" sticker for your fridge. Gah, that really sounds like the day from hell. At least it's over!

    Do you like your Hunter boots? I'm considering splurging on some for the upcoming move to DC since I can get warm liners for winter or wear them like rain boots during warmer months. Would you recommend them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, I mean "wag more, bark less." Doy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The geranium scented Mrs. Meyer's products can cure any foul mood. Even Limey loves the smell of it all over the house. Hopefully the rest of your week will make up for yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My pug smells like cornchips too! What is that? : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Boom's paw stickin' out there is just like my Ella Mae when I get in bed too. And yes, mine are the same way--they have no interest in the old ratty stuff--expensive? Yes please!

    Also, I double book myself rather frequently, and I've never had administrative help. Don't know if I should be admitting this.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post... so relatable... I hate it when my commute goes all wonky because of unforeseen circumstances.... My puppy love is also a dirty panty eater... but she is my dirty panty eater! and there are very few things I hate more than working my buns off to cook a great dinner only to have it suck.... and how I love my Fruit Bars... those cream wellies are to die for... and I adore fun random items posted up on the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HEY. DON'T KNOCK RAINBOW SPRINKLES MAN!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahahha! Glad to know I'm not the only one with a fuzzy friend that pilfers panties. Geez.

    Those strawberry fruit bars have a perma-spot in my freezer. Ohhhmygoodness, so good. And with wine? I think I just figured out what I'm having for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tuesday was a Jonah day. We all have them. You survived the day with out resorting to ( I assume) physical violence or narcotics. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, I may just have two recipes that would change Ev's mind on the curry! My husband used to think he didn't like curry, but now he's a full-fledged devotee. Email me if you want the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww, my dog smells like Fritos too! Well, at least her paws do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have another panty eater over here too.. but I probably confuse the poor thing, if she has a granny-panty pair, I'm not going to bother chasing her all over the place, but once she prances past me with a prized Hanky Panky it is like WWIII meets the track Olympics between us.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!