Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hats Off to HomeGoods!


Last Saturday, Evs and I hung up our Urban Sombreros for a couple of hours, set our Suburban Turbans atop our noggins at a jaunty tilt, and trekked on out to HomeGoods to see what we could see (much like the Bear who Went Over the Mountain except there was no mountain - only an endless stretch of tollway and pavement and strip malls - and, obvs, we aren't, ya know, bears).  

I'm an avid reader of home decor / DIY blogs like Young House Love and Bower Power... and I'm always ridiculously impressed by these savvy shoppers' HG finds!  Unfortunately, HomeGoods stores are not as rampant in Texas as they are a little further Northeast, so a home accessories hunting trip requires a little planning and several hours of time to kill.  Hence: MY VERY FIRST HOMEGOODS EXPERIENCE!

Happily, my dreams of economically pretty pieces were not dashed!  Let's assess: 

Two "Crystal" Lamp Bases + Shades

49 Smacks Apiece!  Compare to...

Restoration Hardware's Saxon Lamp at $339 + $50 for shade

White Ceramic Cake Stand

$9.99!  Compare to...
Scalloped Cake Stand from Williams Sonoma - $52.00

Turquoise Vase

Another $9.99 find! Compare to...

Aegean Vases from C&B - $49.99-$59.99

Needless to say, I'm pleased as punch with my treasures!  Are you a HomeGoods fan?

Bee-Tee-Dubs, gracias for all the home-buying well-wishes!  We put our first offer in this evening!  I don't believe in jinxes (and if I did, we'd be screwed what with all the paint chips I've already picked out), but I do believe in SIGNS FROM JESUS, and if Jesus saw fit to leave 25+ cardboard packing boxes (nice ones-- not like the ones I begged off the liquor store when I packed up my law school apartment) laying around for trash pickup a block from the cottage, well then I'd say JESUS WANTS US TO HAVE THIS HOUSE SO WE CAN PACK STUFF IN THE BOXES HE LEFT FOR US.  



I don't argue with Jesus.  Which is why the backseat of my car now looks like this:



27 comments:

  1. LOVE HomeGoods! It's often ht or miss, but when you find good stuff, it's great! Can't wait to hear about the house...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just admiring those exact lamps at HG last night! Loove that store (and those blogs!)...I go by whenever I can just to peruse the beautiful er, home goods. I can usually restrain myself from picking something up unless I am absolutely IN LOVE.

    Good luck on the house! Those boxes are totally a sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome HomeGoods finds! I am dying for those lamps. I've been on a lamp search for 6 months and have yet to find anything I like. (at least anything I like under $200!) Hope I can hit the HG jackpot like you did! And kudos on getting the hubs to accompany you. My husband's eyes glaze over the second I start talking about home decor so I usually leave him at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! I love homegoods, I got the lamp on my nightstand there and I luuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhvvvvv it. I also just purchased an adorable mail sorter and a painting that both need to be put into use. Love it and glad to see it was well worth the trip!

    And good luck with the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home Goods is fabulous. I live in TN and they are usually within close proximity to a TJ Maxx. You can find such incredible stuff. Best of luck to you and Evs with the home buying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am incredibly jealous of that cake stand find. It's SO pretty!

    Good luck on getting your house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love homegoods!

    I need one more cake stand for our wedding reception- so it looks like I'll be making a trip there sometime very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun! I miss shopping for house type things. I have transitioned from buying decor I don't need with my almost weekly $100 target run to buying makeup and haircare products I don't need.

    Good luck with the offer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Katie! I'm doing that too soon! I need new lamps and those are PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are hilarious! This blog makes me smile on mornings even when I'm draggin'. Homegoods is friggin amazing. We just bought our deck furniture there-LOVE IT-fingers crossed on the house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish there was a Home Goods in my state! I like the items you bought better than the more expensive versions. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jesus obviously wants you to have the house. And, I'd take the boxes too.

    Jesus also wants me to have a turquoise vase--only hiccup in that plan is that I'd obviously need to go to HomeGoods. Sigh...

    Love your HG finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Home Goods is my happy place, you just need to be careful that you don't walk out with a giant wooden chef holding a chalkboard with Today's Specials.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, also, love Home Goods! I have one right down the road from me, and I blow it out every time I go! I love the vase that you bought.

    Good luck with the home- the boxes do look like a sure sign ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are too cute! I remember dumpster diving with my MIL for boxes when we moved from Dallas to Austin. I would have much preferred a sign from Jesus. Good luck on the house! It's nerve-wracking and a pain in the ass to move/close, but well worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Home Goods! My favorite obsession. The best part is that they have started a baby section in the ones near us - has saved me from spending a bundle elsewhere! Love those lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes yes, I love Homegoods - you can't find better deals on lamps anywhere! And their inventory changes all of the time, so keep going back and you'll find even more to like!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, LOVE the HomeGoods. This could be lame, but whatever: whenever I'm having a sad day, I go there and buy something. A candle, a dog toy, a kitchen something, who cares. It makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck with the house! Another store you might want to check out is Tuesday Morning - we've found Neiman Marcus overstock there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love HomeGoods!!!! So glad you found some fantastic things, those lamps are perfect!

    Good luck with the house, and I agree, the boxes are a definite sign of good things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE home goods! It's a great place to find things at a reasonable price and things that are unique.

    I just bought a house myself about a year ago (before I started dating my fiance and had any inclination that I'd be moving to Alaska in the next couple years...), it is one of the most stressful things I've ever done, but totally worth it. Good Luck to you... I hope it all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the new house wares--your cake stand is much cooler than the one at WS! And way to go on recyclying those packing boxes. Hope you are able to put them to good use soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE homegoods. I have been drooling over the C&B aegean vases for awhile now but I like the one you found even better! I'm crossing my fingers I can find a similar one in my store! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. homegoods rocks my face off. and after seeing your finds, i may need to make a little trip there this weekend...

    sending good vibes for the new house search! fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just wanted to say thanks. Your awesome lamps inspired me to check out my local HomeGoods for lamps for our master bedroom. I hit the jackpot! The perfect lamps with shades that perfectly match my silver sage RH bedding, but at a fraction of the RH cost.

    ReplyDelete
  26. HomeGoods is great at making me wander around for hours only to discover that I then want a new duvet cover, soap dispenser, and accent pillows....which weren't even what I was shopping for.

    Your lamps are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!