Sunday, September 19, 2010

Menu Sunday

{I'm actually jumping the gun a bit here and hammering out this post during Horns Halftime on Saturday evening... we're going to have to step it up during the second half if the rest of my weekend is to be shiny and happy...}

I'm oh-so-happy to say goodbye to an incredibly stressful and frustrating past 7 days... and hello-please-be-nicer-to-us to the upcoming ones!  Let's hope it's good juju all over the board, including the happenings in my kitchen!  Oh, and also... last week's menu got all sorts of muddled and switched up... hence the deja vu on the peanut chicken! 

Sunday: Simply Sautéed Tilapia with Squash Casserole
- Salt + Pepper + Lime Juice + Tilapia Fillets + Olive Oil Mist + Pan Sauté! 
- I made half a recipe of my mom's squash casserole to go with our Saturday night burgers... this stuff is ridonc-delish, y'all! I usually make it to take with us to Miami, OK (thus ensuring I'll have something to eat for 4 days), but since we're flying this year, it'll be a no-go... so I might as well enjoy it now, yes?  Yes!  

Monday: Oven-Baked Chimichangas 
- planning on combining these two recipes... here (Cooking Light) and here (Tasty Kitchen)

Tuesday: Tomato Almond Pesto + Butternut Squash Ravioli; Broccoli 
- Big Thanks to Slynnro for passing along the Tasty Kitchen pesto recipe! 
- Ravioli courtesy of World Market

Wednesday: Peanut Chicken
- from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast
- poor Peanut Chicken got skipped last week in favor of a girls' night 

Thursday: Turkey Chili
- from Williams-Sonoma: One Pot Meals

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hits & Misses from Last Week's Menu:

BBQ Chicken Stuffed Potatoes (here) - My goal was to keep the same ingredients (i.e. - keep the nutritional content the same) but make these more like twice baked potatoes, and I think I accomplished that goal!  After nuking the taters, I sliced them in half and scooped all the "meat" into a small mixing bowl, leaving enough in the skins so that they kept their shape.  Then I added about 1/3 c. (reduced from 1/2 c.) light sour cream, 1/2 c. extra sharp cheddar (um, yeah, admittedly I used more than this), 2 diced roasted Hatch chiles, and 3/4 lb. of shredded BBQ chicken tenders (marinated in Salt Lick BBQ sauce overnight and then grilled) to the potato innards and mixed it all together.  After restuffing the skins, I baked the potato halves on a olive oil spritzed cookie sheet at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes.... This was a HUGE hit and will be making many appearances in the future!  {I think I'll add in some more BBQ sauce next time - instead of just relying on the marinade for the flavor}  Depending on the size of your original taters (mine were pretty mondo), one half is a good-sized portion, especially with a simple green veggie or salad on the side.  I made 2 whole potatoes (4 halves) and we had enough leftover for both of our lunch sacks!


Tomato Sausage Risotto (here) - Another "Hit!" {No "Misses" this week, woo hoo!}  I began cook-time thinking I'd follow this recipe exactly, except for my substitution of Spicy Chicken Sausage in the place of the Italian Sausage (easy calorie reduction!).   Once I was ready to begin adding the tomato/broth mixture to the rice, I realized that I wasn't going to be fond of the canned tomato chunks in my risotto.  Canned beans, canned corn, canned peas - I can do.  Canned 'maters... Kate = Food Snob.  I'm just not a fan.  I can do tomato paste or tomato puree... but there is something about canned tomato chunks that skeeves me out.  So I strained the diced tomatoes out of the tomato juice / broth and did a quick chop-job on a pint of yellow cherry tomatoes.  I also used a heavy-hand with the spinach.  DELISH!  Next time, I might not even add the sausage - it was yummy but rich - and the tomatoes and spinach definitely could stand on their own!  

Happy Cooking this week! 

8 comments:

  1. OMG that squash casserole is going to be filed away in what I will make for Thanksgiving dinner... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so good about doing this every week! I'm so not good at it because if I'm not in the mood to eat it, I'll change my plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had the Cooking Light chimichangas for dinner last week and they were really tasty- I would highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just popped the squash casserole in the oven! I'm so excited to try it in a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I might be adding that squash casserole to my repertoire very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely making those BBQ Chicken Stuffed Potatoes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The BBQ Chicken Stuffed Potatoes look phenom!! Definitely want to make those ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried your goat cheese stuffed chicken last week and it was delicious! My boyfriend loved it too! Thanks for the idea and recipe!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!