Sunday, October 10, 2010

Menu Sunday

It's Moving Week!  And Detox-from-Inhaling-Red-Oak-and-Putters-Chips-and-Tavern-Crab-Dip-and-Enough-Firefly-Sweet-Tea-Vodka-to-Kill-a-Medium-Sized-Camel Week! {Oh Winston. How I love thee. But it's no wonder you made me a big ol' pudge back in the day.}

Anyhoo, I've been too exhausted since our evening return to Dallas to tackle anything more strenuous than the Pottery Barn Holiday Preview Catalog and double episodes of Sister Wives.  And I fear I'll be a bit too frazzled Monday through Thursday for serious chefery, what with all the packing of my fine china in boxer shorts and back issues of the Texas Bar Journal (what? have you priced bubble wrap lately? crazypills).  

So I'm thinking Bow-Tie Lasagna (my healthier modifications here) and Hatch Turkey Chili (modified from Williams-Sonoma: One Pot Meals)... big vats of each... big salads with each... Wash, Rinse, Repeat.  

Exciting? Nay.  But that's life sometimes, chickadees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hits & Misses from Last Week's Menu

Turkey Meatballs in Pasta Sauce.  Mi padre is a meatball kind of guy.  And if "Amount of Effort Expended on Kooky Real Estate Deals Out of the Goodness of One's Own Heart" somehow correlates to "Meatball Deserveability," I foresee lots of meatballs in T-Man's future.  I rolled out this lighter version of the traditional in honor of our Closing Eve, and they got the thumbs-up from the connoisseur himself!  Notes: Do listen to Martha and use some dark meat turkey (I think my mix was around 75% ground breast and 25% ground thigh).  I added some fresh tomatoes and red pepper flakes to the canned tomatoes and put the whole shebang through the blender for a smoother sauce.  Use a big pot... my honkin' oval Le Creuset did the trick quite nicely... and once you place the meatballs in the sauce, do not touch them.  Let the sauce simmer up over them and keep your mitts off!  I let mine stew for a good 20 minutes.  

Slow Cooker Green Chili Pork Tacos (here) - Quite possibly the easiest crockpot recipe I've ever made and perhaps the most yum-o.  Even the Evster - who initially declared "um, I don't really like pork" - was a convert.  

Black Bean Soup from Everyday Food: Fresh Flavors Fast.  Bland.  Blah.  Even with some doctoring this was just "meh."  

4 comments:

  1. Good luck moving! I think I could have chili every night for awhile before getting sick of it. Can't wait to hear all about the new house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun with your move! The meatballs sound soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a recipe called "meatball nirvana" last week and the bf LOVED it. Here's a super quick one for you to try, maybe in the "unpacking" phase?

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Taco-Soup/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I'm just getting around to EAing but busy is busy. Never too late to say thumbs up on the meatballs........and with turkey a gift from heaven to the man taking enough Lipitor to lower the cholesterol of a whole heard of elefantitas grandes. T spleecchhh

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!