Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February Goals

Insert Something Cliche Here, like: Wowee, Geewhiz! I can't believe it's already February!

Yep, it's that time again for the first time... When I shame myself into adopting good habits for living evaluate last month's goals and look toward the month ahead!

Exclamation! Point!

Here we go...

Goals for January 2011:

(1) Fitness 
Cancel Fancy, Expensive, Now-Inconvenient-to-New-House Gym. {accomplished!
- Take advantage of current new member offer at Pure Barre. {accomplished!
- Attend 3 or, ideally, 4 Pure Barre classes a week for the duration of my unlimited-use month.  {accomplished - I love, love, love Pure Barre!}
- At the end of the month, seriously assess whether continuing PB classes at the normal rate is worth the monetary investment.  "Worth it" = Do I enjoy the classes enough / Can I honestly commit to continue with 3-4 per week?
- If continuing with PB is not worth it, join the YMCA across the street.  Or perhaps, figure out if my budget can accommodate both. 
---> I've decided to join the Y and buy packs of Pure Barre classes. I think this makes the most financial sense and takes the pressure off me to bend my schedule to accommodate the PB classes all the time.  More on this down South in February's Goals. 

(2) Eating 
- Return to abstaining from alcohol 4 days a week.  Remember the pleasure to be had in just one, lovely glass of wine. {I have the one, lovely glass of wine part down(ish)... the abstaining 4 days a week just didn't happen every week.}
Concentrate on portion size. If making a recipe where there will be leftovers, divide the portions according to the recipe's serving size before sitting down to eat. {accomplished!  I'm quite proud of this one, as going back for seconds is a huge weakness of mine!}
- Eat more fruit - at least one portion per day. {accomplished - I've had seedless oranges, strawberries, blueberries, and/or blackberries every day this month - usually as my morning snack or my "dessert" after lunch.}
- Continue to eat consciously and conscientiously... Continue to purchase and prepare real food, even as I cut calories. {accomplished!}
- Start researching restaurant ideas for our trip to Italy in the Spring!  Make a list of Must-Sample regional cuisine.  {Didn't seriously start on this project.}

(3) Work
- Check all VMs and return all calls before leaving for the evening. {VMs continue to be my professional nemesis. I did manage to clean out my voice-mail box before leaving for the day...but as far as returning all calls go?  Nuh-uh. }

(4) Personal
- Take more photographs with my actual camera.  Specifically, take one decent photo of Evs and myself together and remember to bust out the camera when we are with friends. {I did take one photo of the two of us this month, but I kinda hate it - I feel as if I look like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man's Step-Sister.  I much prefer this shot from the same evening.} 


- Write in my One-Line-a-Day Journal... everyday! {Yep, did that - love this journal.}
- Write two, snail-mail letters that are not thank-you notes. {accomplished! Bonus: purchased new personal stationery.}

(5) Us
- Pull the trigger on the dining room table and sectional we've (finally) selected. {D-O-N-E! In fact, our dining room set was delivered last week and we managed to put it all together with 'nary a blowout argument!}

Please disregard the Doesn't-Go-There-Decore atop the table.
- Eat supper at the table... together... one night during the workweek. {Great goal / Didn't happen.  Although, if we can count Fridays, we might have a 3 outta 4 situation.}

And now... February Goals for 2011:

(1) Fitness
- 45 minutes of cardio at the Y, 3x per week + 2 Pure Barre classes per week. 

(2) Eating
- Shoot for the 4 days a week off the Booze Train, but really concentrate on the Just One Glass motto if enjoying a weekday libation
- Use my pasta attachment to the KitchenAid that I received for Christmas {Little heart-shaped ravioli for Valentine's Day is my current thought for my virgin voyage into pasta-making. Cheesy - literally and figuratively - I know.}
- Repeat: continue with Portion Control; continue with Conscious / Conscientious Eating; actually complete Italy Restaurant Research 

(3) Work
- Repeat: Check / Answer VMs Prior to Leaving 
- Finalize volunteer request posting for Spanish-speaking aid 

(4) Personal
- Repeat: Photographs of Us Two; One-Line-a-Day Journal; 2 Snail-Mail Letters
- Research gardening ideas for our front, back, and side beds + upper balcony; clean out said beds {I would like a little veggie / herb action + some pretty flowers out from to replace the hydrangea bushes that aren't suited for their location}
- See Winter's Bone, Biutiful, The Fighter, and Animal Kingdom before the Oscars. 
- Begin re-watching Six Feet Under from the beginning. {I've been watching less and less television during my weekday solo time this month... not consciously - I'm just not uber-thrilled by many things on my DVR and prefer to spend more time in the kitchen, exercising, or reading.  But I do want to watch 6FU all the way through again.  Might take a long while.  But that's okay.}
- Finish decorating our tall bookshelves above the living room built-ins.  {I completed 2 of 6 this past weekend}


(5) Us
- Choose fabrics for and complete behind-the-sectional art piece {if sectional arrives in the first half of February}
- Choose a rug and desk chair for the office 

Do you have any goals you'd like to conquer this month?

10 comments:

  1. I love your dining room table! You did a great job with your goals in January. Returning emails and voicemails before I leave for the day is one of my weaknesses too, I may have to add that to my February goals. Good luck this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh...I am SO bad at writing in the One Line a Day journal...I have months missing...you have inspired me to return to the journal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a one line a day journal! I have always loved the idea of journaling, but not the idea of coming up with lots to write.

    Love the dining room table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! So I've been reading for a while, but I'm a read-but-not post friend. Until now. I'm not sure where you are going in Italy, but if you take a little jaunt through Florence you absolutely MUST eat at Trattoria 4 Leoni (http://www.4leoni.com). I lived around the corner from this little gem while in college. The trattoria is on the other side of the river near the Pitti Palace, in a quiet neighborhood not touristy at all. If you go, you have to have the fiocchetti alle pere con salsa di taleggio e asparagi - pasta with pear, cheese and asparagus. I think its right up your ally - the recipe is on their website. It was truly a life changing experience. Really, that whole semester abroad was life and waste line changing! I can't wait to hear about your Italy plans!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - you have been productive! Congrats on all that you have accomplished thus far. The dining room table is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you are breaking your goals into months rather than a whole year like I did! Love your new kitchen table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelves and new table look wonderful!! Way to go on both January and February goals xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dining room table.

    We had a really good dinner at a restaurant near the Piazza Navona in Rome on a trip two years ago:
    http://www.santaluciaristorante.it/

    The cacio e pepe pasta with mussels was ridiculously good and the little patio outside was very cute. It was surrounded by a fence and elevated a few steps from street level, which helped to deter the ubiquitous street musicians of dubious skill playing "My Way."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang you are kicking tail on these goals. I LOVE that table!! Love, love!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!