Tuesday, April 4, 2017

3 Healthy, Springy Recipes

It's been a tick since we had some really bad food photography... Thankfully, these 3 easy recipes should make up for my perpetually mediocre cuisine styling! 


The first hails from an issue of last year's Real Simple {finally got to plow through some of those on our CA trip with 2 kids who are now both fully occupied by iPads on planes - yahoo!} -- Summer Vegetable Minestrone comes together in a snap and can be adapted with whatever happens to be languishing in your veggie crisper or freezer drawer. I added a bit more pasta {mini bow ties} and 2 more cups of broth  to make sure the kids had enough they'd actually eat in their bowls and then loaded E and myself up with mounds of tender veggies.  I also tossed in some roasted sweet peppers that I had leftover from fish tacos; broccoli or zucchini or cauliflower or even some wilted spinach would be fabulous! L tried every vegetable in her bowl, and I think B maybe ate some leeks and squash on accident... I'll count that as a victory.

(Serves 4-6)



I thought I'd snapped a shot of my latest sheet pan masterpiece but apparently only Instastories felt the #wfd love that night. I do enjoy a good sheet-pan supper, and this was another easily-modified meal the entire family gobbled up.

Sheet Pan Balsamic-Herb Chicken & Vegetables
modified from Skinnytaste

Ingredients

Chicken + Marinade
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T EVOO
- 1 T honey
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 T chopped basil {I had fresh}
- 2 t parsley {I used dried}
- 2 t veggie pepper {regular pepper + some other spices - oregano, thyme, etc - would work great, too, but I looooooove this stuff!}

Whisk herbs, spices, and wet ingredients together.  Pour over chicken chunks in a Ziploc bag.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to overnight {I did about 4 hours}.

Veggies + Marinade
** shitton {technical term} of veggies of your choosing... I did:
-  1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 small red onion, quartered and separated
- 2 big zucchini, chopped
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T EVOO
- 1 T kosher salt
- 1 T veggie pepper
- 1 T chopped basil
- 2 t parsley

Whisk herbs, spices, and wet ingredients together.  Pour over veggies in a bowl.  Refrigerate for 30+ minutes {I did the same 4 hours as the chicken; I don't think I'd do it much longer to ensure the veggies don't get mushy}.

Preheat your oven to 400 {if you're using full, thick, non-chunked chicken breasts, maybe go up to 450 or adjust the cooking time}.  Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.  Spread the veggies evenly over the pan, and then nestle the chicken chunks throughout, discarding any extra chicken marinade left in the bag. Bake for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.

(Serves 4)


And finally, this bean salad was a hit with 3 out of the 4 members of our family {B was skeptical from the get-go and suffered through a few bites before demanding more sweet potatoes}. I took a lot of liberties with this one as we were staying at my parents' home for a week while our cabinetry was being painted, and I didn't want to run back over to my pantry to grab certain components.  What follows is the Tim-Gunned version {served with roasted paprika sweet potatoes and my favorite Taylor Gardens kale & brussels bagged salad}...

Marinated Bean Salad
modified from How Sweet It Is

Ingredients
- 1 15oz can of cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 15oz can of garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 3 T EVOO
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 T fresh basil, chopped
- 1 T parsley {I used dried}
- 2 t honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t thyme
- 1 t veggie pepper
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved

Whisk together the spices, herbs, wet ingredients, and cheese.  Pour over beans.  Stir in the tomatoes and toss. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.  Great with a spoon or as a dip on a tortilla chip!

(Serves 4)


1 comment:

  1. I am ready for farmers marketing and these look like delicious spring recipes. Shitton is one of my favorite metrics.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!